Chapter 8 - An Eye For An Eye

Chapter 8 – An Eye For An Eye

          There’s nothing in this world that I fear today than to hear my cell phone ring. For the entire day, I was anxiously waiting for Thatcher to call me and announce my dismissal. After the terrible meeting with Goble, I don’t think Thatcher will be happy to hear that I lost the bid. I was so close to closing the deal for McGarry but here came Stone in his white stallion, so equipped and fired up to rescue his beloved queen from me, the evil witch. And now the evil witch has to face the magical and scary dragon that can singlehandedly extinguish the former.

Right after the meeting, May called me and said that it was better for me to stay away from Mezzanine until I am intentionally called to come. She said Thatcher is currently in a state of denial. Most of the workers were also sent home without prior notice or explanation immediately after Thatcher heard about Goble finally signing with Stone. It seems that Thatcher wants the entire place for herself.

While I am so preoccupied with the thought of dismissal, which I am sure I will definitely get, I hit the internet for some vacant jobs. It will not be long when I will positively be unemployed so better prepare early on. Though it is not yet the time to press the alarm button. I think we are still floating—just a few ranks above destitution though—but totally not impoverished. I have saved enough for the rainy days. And guess what, this might just be the time to make use of that money.

Getting an online job as a freelance writer will be great. I think that might just be a good supplementation for a job in a pre-school. In the meantime, I might need to stick to these money-makers until I find a real one.

“Here, take a look at this.” Ray hands me over a white mailing envelope. He has been frequenting our house while he too looks for a permanent job in the city. He said he almost depleted all his finances in his Alaskan trip, so he needs a replenishment.

“From Stone Holdings?” I quickly open the letter that is inside.

“You’ll be surprised,” he utters in the most exciting tone.

“You got a position in the new publishing division of Stone Publishing.”

“Yes!” And he hugs me so tightly like a child. “It’s a new one! Can you believe it? I’ll be an Assistant Editor for my first job!”

I quickly run my eyes through the paragraphs. It seems that something anomalous is in the letter, I just can’t immediately decipher it out.

“I don’t know who will be my boss but I don’t think it will be one of the famous editors they have in the other divisions. Maybe someone new, I guess,” he adds.

“Congratulations! I’m happy for you!” I couldn’t be happier for Ray. He always dreamt of working in Stone’s company.

“I know I shouldn’t be like this when you are all so beaten up with McGraddy. You should try Stone Publishing. I am sure Hunter will have you with open arms.”

I shot him a glare.

“Okay, I take it back,” he states right away. “Why do I always end up giving bad advices?” I hear him murmur to himself.

“Anyways, Ray, I think I found something really helpful for the meantime.”

He moves his face closer to the laptop screen and read the advertisement aloud, “Teacher Assistant. Precious Angels Montessori?”

I nod.

“For the meantime?”

“Yes.”

“Do you think the pay will be enough?”