Chapter 32 - Rage in Silence

Where are we?" My eyes coast from east to west as I salivate with awe at the grandiosity of the massive stone house. The gates open at the center, and my eyes can only freeze to take a minute watching the spectacle unfold in front of my very eyes.

Hunter is not talking to me. Not even the sophistication of this unfamiliar building can take away my annoyance over his silence. He's been like this since we left the abandoned street, and I could see a brewing storm through his face.

What is he mad about, anyway?

Is it my full knowledge of his secrets and association with Will?

He can't blame me for taking actions. I know my only fault is being too nosy, but I just have to follow him because I was scared for his life. Surely, he is not serious about giving me cold shoulders for the entire night.

His hands are on the steering wheel. He is too focused on swerving the car to the empty space just in front of the house's entrance. Upon pulling over, he quickly frees himself from the seatbelt and mounts off the car. He is deliberately avoiding me.

When he reaches the side where I am seated, he opens the door. "Can you walk?" he says coldly.

"Do I look like I need carrying?" I slightly raise my voice. Honestly, that sarcastic response just naturally came out. I've been trying to be patient with him, but I've had enough already.

"Good, because I have no plan of doing that!" he retorts scornfully and turns his back on me, walking toward the entrance.

So we are heading nose-first to a cold war now?

Paul meets Hunter before he could cross the wide threshold. Hunter said something to the man, and the latter makes brief nods. After that, Hunter heads off inside without even looking back at me.

"Do you need assistance, Ms. Mohr?" Paul asks as soon as he reaches me.

"Why? Did he tell you to carry me on your shoulders?" My legs still feel swollen, and I think other than my knees, my left ankle is starting to ache. I must have twisted it while I dismounted the car.

"Not quite that instruction, I believe," Paul answers as he offers his hand. "But he said I should use force on you when you show resistance."

On second thought, I don't think I have the energy to pick a fight with Paul tonight over entering this entirely unfamiliar but heavenly place.

"What is this place anyway, Paul? Your boss purposely neglected to tell me where we are."

"Didn't boss tell you, miss?"

"No."

"You're in your new home, miss. Mr. Stone purchased it just this morning," Paul replies.

Why would he need a new house? the question pops out of my mind.

"Is his apartment not enough?" I blurt out.

Hunter has no sense of frugality. When he feels the urge to waste money, he would not think twice about it. I remember he stated more than one property in the U.S. as my workplace in the contract, so it just means he has plenty of houses already. Yet he bought another one today. For what? Does he suffer from Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder? Because I can see that he has no control over purchasing unnecessary stuff whatsoever.

"Mr. Stone bought it for you, miss," Paul says. "He deems his apartment to be unsafe for you and him." Paul stops walking just as we enter the living room.

I heard him right this time despite half of my attention being drawn away by the sheer exquisiteness of the place.

This place reminds me of the Etheridge's mansion in Pine Valley. The architecture is somewhat similar although this one is a little smaller. I don't think Hunter has a lake behind the house because we are situated in the middle of a town in Princeton.