Chapter 29 - Angel's Resolve

Our lips are mere millimeters away. My chest is about to explode, and my knees are shaking... but it all ends for nothing when he pauses at the sound of his phone ringing.

My mouth curses, verbalizing my frustration.

Hunter smirks at the sight of me disappointed for the disrupted kiss.

My face, all of a sudden, feels warm, and I have to turn my back on him, so he doesn't see me turning red. I step a few inches from him to free myself from the growing uneasiness within me.

Good Lord, what was I thinking?

The memory of his meaningful smirk flashes right before me every time I close my eyes and shake my head. What could he be thinking after he found me stunned? What could the smirk mean?

"What is it you want?" The intensity of his voice draws me to listen to him. When I turn back to him, a face of a wolf hungry for his prey surprises me. His forehead creases as his fingers massage the area where I think pain is starting to get him.

"The deal is over. You got what you want!" Surprisingly, he maintains the volume of his voice—careful but weary. When he catches a glimpse of me staring at him, Hunter visibly calms down a bit, sighs, and turns his back on me.

It must be Will on the other line.

Why is he still pestering Hunter?

I thought everything's fine now.

With worry written all over Hunter's face, I could only say one thing: It's not yet over with Will.

"I gave you what you want, what is it this time?" Obviously, Hunter is trying to hide things from me.

He takes short strides toward the curtain wall where we could see the dark sky.

I want to get closer and stick my ears to his phone so I could hear more clearly

Hunter heaves a deep sigh. Even though his back is turned to me, I could see his reflection on the glass wall. His brows are meeting at the center, and his eyes are piercing and dark. I do not like the atmosphere he's bringing out—it reeks of so much disgust and anger. If only his eyes could kill.

"I'll be right there."

He turns on his heels and approaches me.

"I'll take you home now," he says without looking into my eyes.

"What does he need from you?"

He tilts his head, and slowly, his eyes meet mine. I feel his strong grasps reaching for my arm. They are tight and strong at first but gradually loosen until they feel warm, gentle and caressing.

"You're tired, aren't you, Angel?"

I shake my head slowly, trying to shake off the uncanny sensation brought by his touch.

"Now let me take you home." His one hand travels from my arm to my shoulder until it ends up just above my collar bone. Suddenly, my neck feels scorching hot.

Bit by bit, he tips my chin up, until we are face-to-face, just mere inches away from each other.

"I'm not tired," I say.

"You are."

He silences me with his lips on mine.

It was gentle, long... and so beautiful.

I don't know how I should feel about it.

I just know it doesn't feel wrong.

My insides make me feel sick. It's not new, but it feels strange—wonderfully strange.