Chapter 26 - Unmentioned

As of now, the immunosuppressants have kept Dad alive for two days. If my knowledge of biology serves me right, it's these that stop Dad's own natural defense system from killing his entire body. I don't know how long the medications can help Dad because as what Eric said, they are just temporary relievers. Right now, Dad's stable, but another operation is inevitable.

As for Hunter, I don't know where he has been for the last forty-eight hours. He could be chasing Will now, bribing organ donation foundations, or negotiating with the devil.

Am I putting too much trust on Hunter Stone now?

Well, maybe. I don't really have a choice. I cannot scour the world for kidneys in days while Hunter can with his money and connections. I am literally at his mercy now. He promised he would do anything... for me.

A shuddering cold suddenly materializes from the bottom of my spine and runs upwards in no time at the thought of Hunter making a sacrifice for me. The man is not a saint to do such a thing, and even if he is no saint, he's not that capable of doing good. All of these are beyond my wildest expectations of him.

"Hi!" I greet the female secretary immediately after she opens the door. "I would like to talk with Dr. Martin. Is he there?"

The female secretary briefly turns around to, perhaps, take a look at Eric's door.

"Do you have an appointment, ma'am?"

I can feel she recognizes me.

"Unfortunately, I don't."

She sidesteps and opens the door wide. She gestures her hand from me to the empty couch and shyly smiles.

"Take a seat, Ms. Mohr. Dr. Martin is currently conducting a physical assessment to a patient." I thought I see the muscles around her eyes twitch.

She knocks on the glass door twice before it slides to the left. She, then, steps across the threshold, leaving half of her body visible to my eyes.

"You can come into his office now, Ms. Mohr. He'll be out in a few minutes, I believe."

"Thanks."

I cross the door. There's another room with a tinted glass door just across the entrance to his office. I believe it's the physical assessment room where Eric is performing a checkup. Perhaps, the health check will not take too that's why the secretary let me in. I can see moving shadows from here, so I think I will not have to wait for that long.

All sorts of paper works fill Eric's table. As soon as the secretary shuts the door of his office, I scan my eyes through the documents. Without touching them, of course. My body freezes the moment I catch a glimpse of a green folder with a label: Tests Run. George Mohr.

My hands quickly reach for them and browse the pages. It's about Dad, and the impulse to know everything about his condition overpowers me.

There are photographs of four men, all with chiseled faces and prominent jaws. Two is tanned, one was ebony in color, and the last is fairly white. Their names are printed in small letters at the bottom of the pictures. Green sheets cut crosswise that look like test results of recently conducted studies are stapled together after the photos. They are organ cross-matching results—of Dad and these four men. With a sea of illustrations of various graphs and combinations of numbers and letters, I could hardly figure out what the results say. One piece of paper fall on the floor, and I readily pick it up. On it was the words: Inconclusive Result. None of the donor candidates show strong match with patient no. 0257-090-223. Suggested for another cross matching test including a genetic assessment.

I hear footsteps. My hands automatically shut the document, and I pretend as if I do not know the ugly truth.

Dr. Martin goes out of the door wearing his white coat. He smiles. Does he already know about the result?