Chapter 24 - Heaven Sent

Chapter 24 – Heaven Sent

 The surgery went on for three hours. It is not like I can do anything to stop it. Dad needs a new one, and here is Hunter Stone offering one for us.

When Mom heard about the news, in no way did she delay leaving work. She stayed outside the operating room for three long hours when she can always rest in dad’s room. I cannot stop her because I feel the anxiety she is having now. If she thinks staying there can keep her nerves down, then I’ll let her.

Ray and I waited in dad’s room while we were clueless of Hunter’s whereabouts. He just disappeared the moment Dad was wheeled into the theatre for the operation. Maybe he went out to settle things between him and the unknown caller who seems to be more than an acquaintance. Oh, I could only wish he does, because if he has settled it, I only have to worry about how to pay Hunter for Dad’s new kidney.

When Dad is transported back to his room, Mom insisted of looking after him for the night, and so Ray and I have decided to have coffee in the cafeteria.

“It’s really kind of Hunter,” utters Ray after wiping the side of his mouth with Kleenex.

“There’s always the other side of the coin, Ray.”

“Okay, let’s say he did that to get your approval.” His nose wrinkles. “But don’t you think it’s quite convincing?”

“Of all the things he could do, he chose to buy me with a kidney!”

“But your Dad will be fine now.”

I nod. I could not argue with this.

“So what’s going to happen now?”

The chocolate dusts on top of my coffee dissolve as I stir the liquid with the tiny spoon.

“I honestly don’t know.” If Hunter asks me to be his pretend wife again, I think I will have a hard time saying ‘no’ now. He’s gripped me by the neck.

“Someone’s after Hunter. He’s threatening him using me,” I add.

“Seriously? Why would that mysterious man think you can be instrumental for his plan?” But when he sees me rolling my eyes on him, he readily finds the answer to his own question.

“Because everyone thinks you and him are together.”

Which is not even true!

“I think Hunter will be in a lot of trouble if he concedes with the man’s demands. He doesn’t want to do it—he told me so.”

“And?” His left eye brow reaching his hairline.

“And I will be the one in trouble if Hunter refuses.”

“But Hunter will not allow anyone to touch you, right?” There’s a hidden provocative smile on his face which I find really annoying and inapt.

You are safe with me. I will not let anything happen to you. The memory of Hunter’s touch and voice start to haunt me again. I don’t think it was a good idea that I allowed him to get too close to me that night because the memory would not just leave me. It’s haunting—in a very bad way.

“You know the man,” I say. He probably said it to gain my confidence. It’s not like there is more than to that.

“Angel…” Ray leans forward, which sends me to mild panic. I know he has something in store for me—questions I may not be able to answer now. “What if, like what happened to Damien, we did not really see it coming…”

What is it about Damien now?

“You know, we all knew it was just fun for Etheridge in the beginning…”