Chapter 22 - Intimidation

Chapter 22 – Intimidation

Right after I found out what was inside the box, I dashed back home with a heavy and worried heart. Ray has to come with me and totally disregard all his plan for the night to make sure get back home in one piece.

“This doesn’t mean anything, Angel,” calmly says Ray as he takes the box away from my clasps. The driver has been speeding the cab under Ray’s instruction because I am starting to freak out. Well, who would not when some unknown person sends you a mysterious gift with the wrong name on it? More to that, the content is quite shocking and freaking the hell out of me.

A single photo of my mother walking along a familiar street and a plaid t-shirt with blood stain which I presume instantly to be of my father’s! Who would not freak out with these stuffs being sent to me anonymously? How can it not mean anything?

“I am pretty sure Hunter has something to do with this!” Containing the growing worry inside me is not an easy job as tears start to cloud my eyes. There’s no one else to suspect but that ruthless man! This level of blackmail is beyond me. Does he think that scarring me like this will earn him my consent? I will all the more loathe him for comprising my family. Nonetheless, if Hunter is indeed capable of resorting to such foul and vile operation, then I should not be complacent now. He could cause havoc to my family—hurt them like what this picture of mom and Dad’s shirt suggest.

“Don’t you think it’s too early to blame the man? There could be another person whom Angel Grant had wronged to, hence the reprisal.”

No one else aside from Hunter, Ray and my family knew of who Angel Grant is so I doubt Hunter Stone is clean on this.

The moment we arrive at my house, I quickly mount off the cab and dash towards the door. It is locked and the lights are off. I knock more than three times, and yet nobody is opening the door. It just suggests one thing: the house is empty. But where could my parents be? Mom could have not brought Dad to the Thompsons. Or did they go to the supermarket without even leaving the lights on?

My trembling fingers fit the key to the keyhole and twist the knob. The door slams and I hear myself crying and screaming for Dad and Mom’s name.

Ray tries to calm me down but I don’t think I can. The warning was enough. The sloppy driver might have been here a little earlier and took my parents away.

“Mrs. Mohr isn’t answering her phone,” gently says Ray.

“Oh God! What shall I do, Ray?”

In an instant—RING! RING!—my phone vibrates and my hand automatically searches for it in my bag. It feels like the world stops for me. I find myself breathing in cautious rhythm.

Hunter Stone’s name flashes on the screen.

“You prick!” I rage. “Where are my parents?”

“They’re with me.” Stone sounds serene but the coldness and arrogance seem to co-exist with his voice.

“If anything happens to them, I swear you are going to regret laying a finger on them!”

“Believe me, they’re safe.”

How could he stay calm while I am dying with fear and worry here? Maybe he’s laughing at me now.

“You kidnap my parents! You sent me this box full of shit. You’re going to be sorry, Stone!”

“What are you talking about?” The sarcasm in his voice made the hair on my arms stand and freeze. For a moment there, I thought I want to physically hurt Hunter and made him beg for his life. How can he deny when clearly it’s only him to be suspected? I can always call the cops if he tries to hurt my parents. I still believe that the justice system in America cannot be corrupted.