Chapter 28 - Ridding Doubts

Dad places a kiss on my cheek. "I can't believe you're not coming with us." He is sitting in a wheelchair being pushed by one of Hunter's hired bodyguards.

"And how long will this arrangement last, Angel?" Mom asks from beside Dad.

When I broke to them the news of my marriage with Hunter Stone, they were not happy about it. Nonetheless, they kept silent and did not say anything save for asking me a dozen times if I was indeed sure about it. Mom and Dad know that I have to do my part of the contract and of Hunter's hard work to keep us safe and sound during the time Will was pestering us. They are well aware that I am marrying the man who gave Dad his second life.

"I don't know, Mom."

We have entered the lift now. It will take us to the uppermost deck of the building where a private helicopter is waiting. The helicopter will then bring them to the airport where Hunter's private airplane awaits.

I can't tell them the arrangement might last for years. It might kill Mom.

The elevator's door opens, and our tired eyes feast on a silver helicopter with Stone's name painted on its body. There are a bunch of bodyguards near the entrance. Two men in white uniforms get into the helicopter and sit in the front seat. They must be the pilots. Then, the bodyguards that accompanied us from the hospital take all our bags, loads them onto the helicopter, and flank its entrance.

"I guess this is goodbye, for now," I say, my eyes all misty.

Mom's fingertips softly touch the corners of my eyes, wiping the tears away.

"Now, call us whenever you need to," she whispers to my ears. "And tell Hunter Stone our deepest gratitude."

"I will," I answer as I step back.

"I am going to miss you, sweetie." Her voice starts to break.

Before I burst out crying, I give Mom one last hug.

"You take care of yourself and Dad there, okay?"

She nods.

"Dad?" I get down to my knees and face him.

He seems to be on the verge of crying as well. I could tell he is stopping the tears from erupting with that forced smile on his face.

"I wanted you to marry for love, Angel," he says as he reaches for both my hands.

"I'm sorry, Dad."

"Your happiness is all I want, darling." His hands grasp mine.

And yours is all I want, too, I thought to myself.

"This is all my fault," he adds.

"No, Dad. I just did what I deem is right to do," I wholeheartedly answer. "It's nobody's fault."

He leans forward and kisses me on the forehead.

"Always be strong, my angel," he says one last time before Hunter's bodyguards wheels him into the helicopter.

Paul meets me at the lobby of Hunter's apartment. The helicopter left as soon as Mom and Dad were settled in. Ray is in the lobby too after he retrieved his things from Hunter's apartment. He could not be happier when he learned from me that he's leaving Hunter's place.

"You don't know how much I prayed for this. Imagine the nights I missed with my co-workers. You know I hate curfews," he says.

Now, he's free as a bird to do whatever he wants, much to his pleasure.

I think our troubles with Will are finally over.

On a rack is a long, white, Grecian dress with a crystal and pearl encrusted waistline, and  I presume it was set like this for me to see.