Freytag's Pyramid

**************************************
##For those who don't know the story of Merchant of Venice(MOV), here is a short summary...

There are 2 characters -Antonio and Shylock >>Antonio borrows money(3000 ducats) from Shylock >> Shylock forms a contract which says that if Antonio fails to return the money within 3 months, Shylock could have a pound of Antonio's flesh>> Antonio fails to pay up>> Shylock demands the penalty in a court of law>> but Antonio gets saved at last because of his lawyer and Shylock loses all his properties and assets.

Another character Portia acts as Antonio's lawyer.

##end of summary

**may contain historical inaccuracies

** The scenes from the MOV will be written in Italics.

**Caution- The Shakesperean play has discrimination against moneylending business and religion.
**************************************

A round of applause followed the drawing of the curtains.

The two gentlemen refilled their glasses .

After all, the next time the curtains will be drawn apart, the most important part of the play would be revealed.

Lord Enders gulped down his wine in order to calm his nerves that were going mad with anticipation. He was feeling an unusual excitement, not least because he had instructed the actors to alter certain parts of a particular scene. He was interested , of course, to see the audience's reaction to the amended scene but for reasons unknown to him, the gentleman sitting next to him unnerved him ( and one can be sure that there is no way in seven hells that Enders is going to openly admit that he felt intimidated by a measly university professor). He glanced sideways to see Mr. Moriarty quietly sipping from the glass, seemingly oblivious to the mental agitation of the host of the performance.

The curtains rose again as someone announced , "ACT IV, SCENE I "

Every eye was again focused on the stage as the most anticipated part of the play unfolded before their eyes.

.

.

.

.

.

.

PORTIA

Is your name Shylock?

SHYLOCK

    Shylock is my name.

PORTIA

Of a strange nature is the suit you follow,Yet in such rule that the Venetian law Cannot impugn you as you do proceed.-

(to ANTONIO) You stand within his danger, do you not?

ANTONIO

Ay, so he says.

PORTIA

The quality of mercy is not strained.It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven Upon the place beneath. It is twice blessed:It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.'Tis mightiest in the mightiest. It becomesThe thronèd monarch better than his crown.His scepter shows the force of temporal power,

The attribute to awe and majesty

Wherein doth sit the dread and fear of kings,But mercy is above this sceptered sway.It is enthronèd in the hearts of kings.It is an attribute to God ,......