Prima Donna

Twas a lovely moon
That graced our room
When you kissed me lightly
That evening last june

You were supposed to be
My destiny's doom
So why am I so intoxicated
With your life's tune?

My angel of death
Oh, my angel of death
Why do you punish me such
With your love's grace?

Oh! I was a fool
To desire your hate
As my salvation
The price of my fate.
When all your sweet poison
Has only brought me closer
To heaven's gate

The song mesmerized the listeners. More appropriately, she mesmerized the listeners. Her face contorted but not in an unsightly manner, as the song reached its crescendo. Her voice, not unlike her visage, hauntingly beautiful, captivated her audience. Prisoners to the hypnotic melody, their movements stilled as if by some intangible force, they listened to her : The Prima Donna.

Complimenting her complexion, her long flowy gown, gracefully hugging her and subtly tinted lips gave her a dulcet appearance. Quite fitting for her character of a lady conflicted by the fruition of a forbidden romance.

When she finished, there were tears in her eyes - whether created as a genuine immersion into her role or added as an artistic prop for the performance was hard to determine. But that is what made her an excellent actress, did it not? Unsurprisingly, the applause that echoed around was no short of deafening. After all, she was the main attraction in today's play.
Everything regarding her emanated the aura of an angel but that smile, oh so devious and that subtle glint in her gaze, flirting with the numerous hearts she just enamoured with her voice, momentarily unmasked an innate fierceness that only he keenest eyes could catch.

And catch he did.

She saw him too. Sitting at the very first row, right in front of the central stage, the smartly dressed gentleman clapped at her. She did not think much of his smirk and the acknowledging tilt of his head when their eyes locked briefly. After all, everyone was clapping for her. Maybe, that is why she failed to notice his empty seat just moments later.

As she strutted back to her chambers backstage, no one came up to her or smiled at her. What did follow her was a trail of low whispers and sideway glances. Her supposed coworkers could not help but wonder at the reason behind her overnight success and how just her presence was enough for everyone to offer her the most important role in a play when it has been but only a few months since she has begun performing.

She was talented no doubt, but always someone significant. Never the unnoticeable one.

She was popular both onstage and off, albeit in completely opposite senses. Although she was no stranger to this occurrence, she never did anything to clear her reputation. Why would it matter when she was the one who made the opera most of its money?

Her aloofness led to many speculations being spun around her personality. Perhaps out of jealousy or curiosity. Perhaps both.

Some say she is the illegitimate daughter of a noble. Some say she is the secret mistress of a gentleman with unparalleled power and influence in society and some say she had seduced an unsuspecting but wealthy John during her days as a lady of the night.

These were mere rumours, exaggerated to different extents in their continuity and no way to ascertain their truth. However, most stories are inspired from true events, aren't they?

Maybe it was the slight stir in the still air or the way the stream of moonlit dust, flowing into her room through the open window, danced a little but something made her alert. In one swift motion she lifted her gown and took out the weapon secured against her thigh. She turned around the moment she heard a click and unfortunately found a gun placed against her forehead.

The man was tall and lean and the light created a faint halo around him. In any other setting she might have found him impressive but now was not the time.

Too bad he is a perverted stalker. She thought.

And infuriating was the smirk creeping up on his face.

Perhaps it was a mistake on his part to provoke her in that manner for in the blink of an eye his neck was pressed against the cool blade of a Scottish dirk. She had lunged forward , momentarily disturbing his balance , causing him to fall on his back woth her on top. Now, both of them lay still, breathes mingling due to the close proximity and bathed in moonlight, his gun against the back of  her skull and her dagger against his throat.

She took a moment to realize that this was the same man who was sitting in the front row earlier tonight.

"I hope you know that it is quite rude to enter a woman's changing room without invitation",  she said, the dagger still steady in her hands.

He raised his eyebrows and in mock offense replied, " Oh! My lady, and it is quite rude to threaten a man with death after inviting him in yourself. "

She was confounded.

The audacity of this-

In one swift motion , he plucked the dirk from her fingers and before she could gather her bearings and attack him again, for she was preparing to do so, he threw both his gun and the dagger away. Then he stood up and bowed in defeat. He also made sure to move back a few steps, just in case she decides to use her fists or her legs to attack him in vulnerable places.

He smiled apologetically and took out a slip of paper from an inner pocket of his coat. She took it cautiously , still doubtful of his intentions. She read it and recognized what was written.

She smiled up at him.

" Ah! My apologies. It's a pleasure to meet you. And I must say you do look quite different from what I have heard" she said and stretched out her arm , intending to shake his hand.

He took her hand, gently kissed it and said , " The pleasure is mine, my dear lady. And I must say what a dazzling smile you have Ms. Irene Adler . "

●●●●●●●

A/N

Hello! I seem to to have updated after what feels like an eternity. I hope you enjoy this chapter (albeit a short one. Sorry! :') )

I've been very busy with my academics this year , hence the sloth paced updates.

Oh also for some goddamned reason wattpad has stopped opening on my laptop and writing on my phone is such a pain in the arse...

Anyways, I wanted to wholeheartedly thank the people who are still reading this fic and are adding it to their reading lists. I was afraid that this Fandom was slowly dying.

Srsly I love y'all 3000 <33.

Have a good day!

Peace out.