Strings Untangled

BANG!

.

.

.

.

.

As the lifeless body fell to the ground, the crowd rushed forward and overcome by a secondary sense of anger and hurt, and began to assault the corpse of the man who they admired just moments ago.

However...one thing still remained .... Where was the actor who played Shylock? The one who killed Antonio? A hasty search began. He was not found but the actor who died on stage was found lying lifeless in the balcony of Enders' deluxe suite. Pity for the dead actor and anger towards the dead noble was the common response of the crowd.

As the crowd murmured away their thoughts... a certain gentleman kneeled by the body examined it for a few minutes and silently got away unnoticed by everyone except William, who noticed that it was the same man who had effortlessly deduced his profession near the Grand Staircase.

William frowned but did not give much thought to the matter.

_

A few days later

The excitement among the people was replaced with an uncomfortable fear and anxiety. Now, the people were restless to get off the ship. Perhaps they were afraid that another killer was among them . Suspicious glances were exchanged during tea and meals.

The Moriartys had just finished dinner and William was out on the deck. The deck was empty, because people were either at dinner or were in the smoke room to indulge in vain conversations. He lit his Phillip Morris and held it to his lips. He had always enjoyed silence after the conclusion of an elaborate plan. He had almost finished smoking when

"Yo! Fancy seeing you here. Shouldn't you be in the smoke lounge or whatever with all those high nosed toffs?"

The man stood near William, his back against the railing. He had a cigarette loosely hanging from his lips. When he removed it , William saw a skull shaped dull ring adorning his left ring finger. Peculiar.

He was the man who he met near the Grand Staircase and who was examining the dead actor with the slightly creased shirt and unruly hair that extended below his neck. Are all his shirts like that? Regardless, what is he doing here right now? And, he had a peculiar way of speaking... who address someone with a Yo? What even is a Yo?

"I enjoy my bit of solitude ", he replied.

"Really? Anyways, it was was a sad business. What happened at the ship, I mean, but quite fitting don't you think?"

"Fitting? I don't quite follow you", Liam replied playing along.

"The cruise was a floating artifact, carrying unfathomable amount of wealth across the Atlantic. And a fantastic stage.

At least that's what I think.", the strange man said.

"Do you now ,Mr...?", said William

But before he could complete his sentence, the other cut him off

" I examined the dead actor. He wasn't killed only with the knife. Before falling, he vomited on stage and started convulsing, then he had a cardiac arrest. Clear signs of fatal poisoning, perhaps chloroquine. The knife was meant for the final blow, as if to make sure he dies if the poisoning doesn't work."

Curious .

" Is that so? You seem to be very knowledgeable in forensic pathology "