Sixteen

THANK YOU FOR 16,000 READS

She avoided him the next few days. 

Jolana didn't want to want him. Friends are one thing. Friends fulfill everything one needs without all the strings that hurt.

It was a windy day and Jolana found herself attracted to the stables. She wanted to check on "her" horse. 

She walked into the stables, she saw a skinny, pale stable boy tending to a blonde mare.

"Hello," she called out

"Hi," he said shortly, "Do you need a horse?"

"No, not exactly. I'm just looking for a horse. Brown stallion, like a woody brown color,"

"We have three brown stallions, we have..." he walked over to a chocolate brown horse with a kind demeanor, "him, he's an oldie. Doesn't leave the stables very often. Less of a runner, more of a trotter," 

"Not the one,"

"Okay then we have him," he walked over to another brown horse, this horse's fur had a red hue to it, "he's our little guy. He's a good boy," the stablehand said as he patted the horse's muzzle. "He didn't grow up as strong as his sisters, we use him mostly to help train people to ride on horseback," 

"Again not the one, but he seems very nice," Jolana stepped and ran her hand through the horse mane.

"Well then it must be our troublemaker," Jolana looked over to where the stable boy had walked and saw her horse. The familiar deep umber color. 

"Hey there!" she said in a high voice as she approached her horse. "Missed you, little guy,"

"Little guy? He's one of our biggest horses. He gets kept in his own little corner for starting fights,"

"Got a bit of a temper don't you?" she said as she pet the familiar animal, "Just like me," she pressed her head to the horse's muzzle.

"You're quite fearless for doing that," The boy said staying away from the stallion.

"He's nothing but a big softy, do you think I could take him out for a little ride?"

"Well no one else has in a while so sure," the stable hand shrugged. He carefully walked over and got the stuff to prepare the horse. Once there were reins and a harness on the horse he handed her the reins and followed her outside. 

"You gonna be okay?" he asked.

"Yeah of-" she stopped talking when she heard a voice

"Hello?" the deep voice called, she stopped talking and tipped her head as a goodbye as the stable boy went to go help whoever was there.

She mounted the horse and patted its neck. "Ready to go?" she grabbed the reins and the horse started running. The pair of firey beings ran freely together in harmony.

The stable boy walked back in and then was caught off guard, "General Kirigan, you're hear personally," he sputtered as he stood up straighter.

"Yes, I need to let you know I need a stronger horse, my normal one is getting a bit old,"

"O-oh, okay. He is your horse, he is most loyal to you,"

"Loyal and weak do nothing for me," he said surely

"Of course, we'll begin training a new black stallion for you," the stable hand said nodding his head slightly. With a wave of his hand, he dismissed the help and looked outside to the courtyard. 

He saw Jolana on her horse. More accurately he saw a very recognizable blur of red and orange.

Jolana leaned her head back as she felt the wind in her hair.

She looked like a living, breathing wildfire. 

He watched her contently. 

"Do you know her?" the stable hand asked. The General glared before answering, 

"Yes I do, now don't you have something better to do than just watch me?" the stable hand began to snicker but quickly stopped and got out of sight from General Kirigan. 

She began to slow down and the General quickly ducked out of sight and away. He knew she had been avoiding him and was content with just having watched her in her element. He was content with that. 

And that scared the shit out of him.