Twenty-Nine

THANK YOU FOR 55K!!!!

ATTENDANCE CHECK! :))))

"Put me back in!" Jolana commanded

Baghra gave her an odd look but said nothing, her silence was answer enough.

Jolana stormed out, she needed more of an answer. She hurriedly walked over to Alina's room, she needed a friend, she desperately needed advice. Sadly the Alina already had company.

"Good afternoon, Jolana," he said without even turning around to look at her.

Jolana ignored the Generals greeting. Alina scooted away from General Kirigan to greet her and you could see he was a little disappointed but he turned around and looked at Jolana. The couple both quickly recognized the fact that something was wrong.

"Lana," she got up and tried to grab her hands to calm her but Jolana didn't let her, "What's wrong?"

"That... old hag," Jolana said angrily

"What happened with Baghra?" Alina asked

"Can she manipulate the tea, like what you see in it?"

"No, it works off of your memories," the General answered for Alina

"Tha-that can't be right," she sputtered out, Alina was visibly worried, General Kirigan was as well he just kept his distance. 

"What happened?" Alina tried to steady Jolana but it didn't do much, "Tell me what you saw,"

"That's not my memory, I'd know if it was my memory," Jolana shook her head, the group's panic was increasing. 

"Lana, I can't help you if you don't tell me what happened," 

"My brother- No, I can't be. There's nothing wrong with being that but if I was, I would-"

Her sentence was cut off by the General putting a hand on her shoulder. Her head quickly snapped to look at his hand. She glanced between his hand and his face.

"Tell me what happened in the dream..."

"Dreams are good, it was too real,"

"Jolana," he said in a deep voice. He cut her off once again. She took a deep breath.

There was that same feeling of fire. It spread across her skin from his hand, no matter how much she tried to calm it as long as his hand was on her, she felt as though she was in an inferno. It wasn't a satisfying or comforting fire too, she knew those well. It was the type that continued to burn far past when it should. 

Jolana explained what happened in the vision, all the nitty-gritty details.

"I bet you were a cute kid," Alina said after Jolana was done telling her story.

"Not helpful right now," 

"Sorry, Lana, 

"So you're part Fjerdan?" the General asked

"I don't know, Aleksander," her words were laced with some unresolved anger. "If I knew, I wouldn't be having a mental breakdown,"

"Maybe I can help," he said calmly. Jolana looked him in the eyes, trying to see if he was serious.

"My parents weren't Grisha, they won't be in any records you have,"

"Well being Grisha is genetic. It's a recessive gene. It can skip ten generations so it may seem as though the Grisha came from nowhere, there is always a trace,"

"Even if I had a secretly Grisha parent, it wouldn't make sense if I'm also part Fjerdan. The Fjerdan people detest Grisha they would much less mate with one,"

"I will find it if there is anything to be found," he said surely

Part of Jolana didn't want to know, but the much louder part of her desperately needed to know the truth.

"It's the least you could do," she snidely

A small smirk graced the Darklings face that he tried to hide.

Alina looked between two people she considered herself pretty close to. There was so much she probably just wouldn't understand about the relationships between shadows and fireballs but that didn't mean she didn't know that there was more to understand

They made their way to the library

Alina separated the General and Jolana. Jolana watched the General very intently. Alina reached out to grab the General's hand but it wasn't there for her to grab. It was too busy looking through books of record for Jolana.

"Your mother's name?" he asked

"Anika, Anika Sokolov,"

"Maiden name?"

"I'm not sure," 

"Your father?"

"Rodion Sokolov,"

"Well here's the thing, I have records on a Grisha having affairs with someone named Anika and a baby being born but it's too old to be you,"

"How much older?"

"Seven years older. And it's definitely not you, it's a boy,"

"Ambrus..."

Jolana started crying, and she didn't reach for Alina, she reached for Aleksander. 

He didn't deny her comfort in that sense.