Twenty-One

Their lips moved against each other with such fervor, Jolana wasn't even sure what she was doing. He had just said he wanted to kill her and yet this felt so right.

She pulled away suddenly, ducked down grabbing the dagger, and held it out in front of her. Pointing it at him.

"That was unfair, seducing the opponent was never a lesson in combat training,"

"Guess we had different types of combat lessons, Darkling," she taunted

"I still have to do what I have to do, Jolana," he said with a smirk, "You tasted like champagne,"

"I'm not a naive girl," she ran to the other side of the war room, now the two of them were separated by a large table, "I know men, you aren't the first one I've met,"

"Is that so?" he raised an eyebrow.

"Yes, and I think you aren't even truly a man,"

"I am the most powerful Grisha, I don't need to truly be a man,"

"You might want to hear me out," she toyed with the dagger in her hands, "You want to kill me because you care for me, you fear losing an ounce of the control you currently have. The issue is you don't control me and you never will because I don't actually fear you,"

"Well, maybe that's your issue," he said nonchalantly

"I may have feared you before, but you're just a Grisha like I am. Just a Grisha like Alina, and Marie, and Genya, and everyone else here,"

"You might want to read more about my bloodline before you make that assumption, maybe go to your precious library,"

"I don't need to, everyone is mortal. Even you,"

"Oh, you don't know just how wrong you are. People like me, people like Alina. We are eternal, we live until we're killed. And killing... that proves to be very difficult," he chuckled as paced around the table. Jolana mirrored him to keep the maximum distance.

"You and Alina may be the Sun and Darkness both can be rid off very quickly with too much fire," 

"Darling, don't grandstand. It's not a good look for you,"

"I don't grandstand, I've been training for about a month, and I do all of that constantly holding back. If I didn't hold back..." she didn't finish the sentence but the implication was clear. She was willing to burn everything down as long as that meant he would be burned in the flames. A hint of interest flickered in his eyes. He wanted to watch her burn it down, "Besides you don't just have knives, you could kill me right here if you wanted to,"

"Maybe I don't want to kill you,"

"Maybe that's your issue," she quirked her eyebrow

They stopped talking and he looked at her, the way he looked at her unnerved Jolana.

"Stop it,"

"What?" he said innocently, with an evil glint in his eye

"Don't-"

"Don't do what? You'll need to be more specific," he began to walk toward her. She threw the dagger and hit the wall near the General. She had gotten rid of her weapon, but she herself was a weapon.

He eventually reached her side of the desk and she got on top of the desk to try and put more distance. The issue is she simultaneously wanted him further from her and closer to her. 

When he stepped closer to her, this time she didn't back away. She moved herself to the edge of the desk and dangled her legs off the edge.

He stepped between them and she wrapped her legs around him.

"Now Miss Sokolov, what would you like me to do," they were inches apart, and just as their lips were about to meet, a knock came at the door. They pulled apart.

Jolana left feeling like she was on fire, which was an odd feeling for someone who's fireproof.