Chapter 1 - Mia

I opened my eyes to see that I was in the backseat of a car, pulling into a driveway. I've just been adopted, after spending 16 years in an orphanage. I never met my parents, but I didn't really want to. They clearly didn't care enough about me, so why should I care about them?

"Sweetie?"

I looked up to see my new mom, Allison, looking at me.

"I know this must be weird for you, to finally be able to call someplace home. But I want you to know that no matter what, I'll be here for you and you can come to me about anything. I know it'll take some time to get used to everything, but we'll make this work."

I nodded my head sleepily, before we got out of the car. Allison grabbed my luggage from the trunk of the car and we met at the door. When we walked in the house, I was greeted by Allison's husband Adam, and their 15 year old son Zander.

"Mia!" Zander yelled. He ran to me and hugged me around the waste. I hugged him back with a smile on my face. I felt happy to finally have a family. Let alone a little brother.

"Hi," I responded. "Thank you for wanting to take me in."

"It's no problem at all, sweetie," Allison said. "We've always wanted a daughter."

I smiled and then yawned involuntarily. I hadn't realized I was that tired.

"Alright. Let's get you up to bed," Allison said.

She led me upstairs to my bedroom, and helped me unpack my things. I didn't have much, but it was enough to get by. I had a few shirts, some pants, shorts, and one pair of shoes. I also had her small bag of toiletries, which consisted of a toothbrush, a tube of toothpaste, and a hair brush.

"Alrighty. This is your room. If you need anything at all, Zander's room is right next door, and my room is at the end of the hall. Adam and I usually wake up around 7 or so so we can wake Zander for school."

"Okay," I responded. "Will I be home-schooled?"

"No. Tomorrow you will go to school with Zander. He's a freshman so he can show you how to get to the school."

"Alright. I'm really tired so I'm gonna go to bed."

"Alright. Goodnight, kiddo."

"Goodnight."

Allison gave me a hug and then went to her own room.