Chapter 17

It was Knox's birthday, so Dave had planned a secret surprise party at the café to celebrate. Everyone was more than happy to help. Alan and Flood took Knox to a football match to distract him and keep him out of the café for a few hours, so that Dave could let himself in and get everything ready, along with his team of helpers. Even Johnny cancelled a slew of meetings and turned up at the last minute to lend a helping hand.

By rights, it should have been a logistical nightmare, but Martin was very good at getting people to listen to him and follow instructions. Dave was so thankful for his help, since he could now concentrate on getting the food. Martin and Johnny helped to clear the furniture and put up the decorations, while Mrs. Cheung dropped by with Paris after school with a batch of cupcakes and other desserts. Nicole helped Dave to handle the wine and alcohol, which Martin assisted her to store in the chiller.

"Mart, you're a genius." Pleased with how everything had run so smoothly, Dave wrapped his arms around Martin in a hug. "I couldn't have done this without you, mate."

"Oh, sure you could've." Martin was grinning widely, face flushed from the excitement and possibly the wine he had sampled earlier. "It's great of you to throw a party for Knox."

"Hey, you know, for all the things he's done for me, this is the least I could do." Dave shrugged. His phone buzzed in his pocket, and he took it out quickly, flipping it open and reading his text message. "Okay guys, Al says Knox is on his way!"

Everyone scrambled to put the finishing touches on their various 'assignments' before preparing to hide. It was already going to be seven, but most of the guests would only start arriving after eight. Still, there were enough people to start off the party first.

They turned down the lights, then hid behind the chairs as the familiar silhouette of Knox appeared in the doorway. "What the hell? I thought Dave was gonna keep the place open!" Knox's muffled voice sounded annoyed, as Alan and Flood muttered something in agreement. Still, the look on Knox's face was priceless as he turned on the lights and they jumped out of their hiding places, screaming, "Surprise!" and laughing at his shocked expression.

"You!" Knox pointed an accusing finger at a chuckling Dave. "Get over here, you sneaky bastard!" Dave began to explain, but Knox only wrapped him in a long embrace, prompting a series of 'awwws' from the spectators. They finally released each other, Dave slightly overwhelmed with emotion while Knox was grinning from ear to ear. "Alright, let's get this party moving! Someone put on the music!" he shouted.

"I believe that would be my cue." Alan took off his coat, winking at Dave as he made his way to the stereo. "Anybody like BLACKPINK?"

"Me!" Paris jumped up and down, making everyone laugh.

"And Dave too, not that he'll admit it," Knox added, ducking expertly when Dave pretended to aim a kick at him.

"That's the thanks I get, huh?" Dave was shaking his head in mirth, as music began to boom throughout the café. With friends like these, as well as a seemingly endless supply of wine and food, what else could he possibly want?

His eye fell on the man poised in front of the stereo, patiently selecting tracks for the party playlist. Alan caught his eye, smiling at Dave, and Dave couldn't help smiling back.

---------

Author's note: Hi I'm just curious if anyone is reading this? Let me know in a comment if you are! -waves- Things are going to get quite dramatic soon in the story...