Chapter 5

Dominick

On the way home from camp, I wondered what the car ride was like for Josh. His dad probably wanted to know how camp went, maybe ask questions about me, his one and only friend, and Josh wouldn't be able to answer him. He'd have to wait until he got home, a three hour car ride later, to respond to the questions, relying on his dad to write everything down.

How would his brothers react? Or his mother? Would he have to go to a separate school? What was he going to do? I couldn't imagine being deaf.

I didn't tell my parents about Josh, not about his hearing loss, anyway. I told them I made a new friend and planned on writing to him every chance I got.

When faced with a blank piece of paper, I froze, realizing I had nothing to say. My life wouldn't get interesting until football started. I never asked Josh if he played any sports. The topic never came up. I bet he didn't play. He didn't seem like the sporty type.

But I had to write to him. I promised him. After all, he wrote to me.

Before mailing my first letter, I'd written several drafts. Crumpled papers scattered my bedroom floor. I wished I could talk to him, but that was impossible. I doubted he had that TTY thing set up yet at home. Even then, it wouldn't be the same.

So here I was, lying on the floor, re-reading the final draft of my letter. I hoped he'd be able to read my messy handwriting. I got a C in penmanship. Nowadays, penmanship wasn't even a thing.

September 10, 1990

Dear Josh,
How are you? How's your new school? I started high school two weeks ago and I already hate it. I got stuck with Mr. Poisson for Biology. He's the toughest teacher in the school.

Robbie broke his leg riding his bike. I carry his books, and I get to use the elevator at school which is cool.

I didn't think I'd make the JV football team, but I did. In middle school, I was a linebacker (right guard), but lots of boys are bigger than me now, so I mostly play safety. My mom doesn't want me to play, but my dad says it's okay.

Have you made any friends yet? I wish we could talk on the phone. I like your voice. You don't sound retarded. You'll always be my friend.

Write me soon.
Dominick

P.S. I hope you can read my writing. I might get a word processor for Christmas.

Barely satisfied with my letter, I folded the piece of paper and stuffed it in the envelope.

*************

October 8, 1990

Dear Dominick,
Your handwriting isn't so bad. I'm clueless about football, but I bet you look awesome in a uniform.

I just started a new school. Everyone is deaf here, and they all know sign language and I don't. It's pissing me off. I miss my dad and my brothers. I used to have lots of friends before my parents split, but now I have none and it sucks. I'll never have any friends. I don't fit in anywhere. I doubt I'll ever make any friends. Most kids here were born deaf. I'll never fit in.

You're my only friend, and I can't even see you. Will I see you again?

How's Robbie? I hope his leg is better.

I have nothing more to say. I'll think about something more interesting to write next time. I miss you.

Josh