vii. slavers

CHAPTER SEVEN ─── slavers

༓࿇༓

The Turd King had decided, for some completely bizarre reason to make peace with the brothers, Eric and Siegfriend, and join forces with Uhtred's crazy uncle that had stolen his home. Yrsa was growing less and less enamoured with the Saxon the longer that she was in his presence.

Thus, as soon as they had reached Eoferwic, Yrsa had disappeared to one of the homes closer to the outskirts of the town centre and had holed up there, as far from the turd king as possible.

"Yrsa!" The girl woke, her eyes bleary with sleep to find Sihtric hovering over her with wide eyes. "Come quick."

"What?"

"Come on, quickly!" He urged, and Yrsa sighed, pulling her large cloak over her sleeping clothes along with some shoes, and following Sihtric out of her home. 

Sihtric looked slightly panicked, his eyes darting around in fear as Yrsa blinked slowly. She wanted to go back to bed. The taller Dane stopped in the shadows of the main square, motioning for Yrsa to watch.

All sleep left Yrsa's system as her eyes went wide, seeing Uhtred and Halig dragged away into cages. "What...? No!"

"Yrsa, hush." Sihtric pleaded, pulling her further into the shadows as he looked around to see if anyone had seen them. "If they are to be taken then we no longer have their protection. We can not draw attention to ourselves."

"But we cannot do nothing," Yrsa countered, her eyes wide as she watched the cart begin to roll out of Eoferwic, shaking her head. This was not good in the slightest.

"We must do nothing," Sihtric reminded her, as Yrsa began to mess around with the curls in her hair, tugging at the strands, shaking her head.

"You two," Sihtric and Yrsa turned, their eyes wide as Hild appeared beside them. "You are to stay here. Keep watch over the Lady Giesla, wait for Uhtred to return for her and stay out of trouble."

"Where will you go?" Yrsa asked quietly, nerves now getting the better of her. She didn't know what to do.

"To Alfred. I will ask him to send men looking for Uhtred," Hild revealed, squeezing Yrsa's hand gently. "But you must stay safe up here whilst I am gone. Do nothing stupid that could provoke an attack on you."

"Yes, Lady," Yrsa nodded, Sihtric following suit. "We will stay out of sight."

"Good. Sihtric, do not let her shoot the king as I know she wished to." Sihtric nodded quickly, before Hild took off south and the pair were left with one another. Two sole Danes in a camp full of people who wished to kill them.