xii. celebrations

CHAPTER TWELVE ─── celebrations

༓࿇༓

It had seemed that Finan's words were true, for near to four days later, they set out from Coccham to Winchester to attend the wedding of Alfred's daughter. Yrsa adored being back in the saddle, patting her horse's neck as she hung back from the men, with Hild. Ahead of her, Finan and Sihtric were bickering, but Yrsa paid it little heed.

They were normally bickering.

"I do not understand." She rolled her eyes as Hild shook her head in amusement. "A nunnery sounds boring."

"Peaceful, Yrsa, it's considered to be peaceful." Hild looked on as Sihtric rode to Uhtred's side, talking in hushed tones, before continuing to distract Yrsa. "Just because it is not fighting does not mean that it is boring."

"But then, you will not come with us?"

"No. I will stay and help others with God's guidance." Yrsa kissed her teeth, pulling a sour face. She did not notice that her lover and Uhtred were talking together. "Don't pull that face, young lady."

"But you have left me alone to deal with these fools all by myself."

"Fools?" Finan turned around, a scowl appearing on his face that signalled he and Yrsa were going to have an argument. He had yet to learn that arguing with the woman normally lead to a very bruised ego. "I'll have you know, Yrsa, that I am a very clever man."

"Did you not mistake a goat for a woman?" Yrsa shot back, arching an eyebrow.

"I was drunk!" Finan glared as Yrsa shrugged, as if to say that it mattered little. "Nothing happened and any woman would be lucky to have me."

"Is that why you have to pay them to sleep with you?" Yrsa's grin grew wider at her favourite past time. She adored winding Finan up, finding that his reactions were very funny for her. Hild chuckled at the younger girl's antics. "Or that they run away from you when you appear in a pub?"

"If you had not met Sihtric first, you would have fallen for me as soon as I said hello." Finan nodded his head and pointing at Yrsa. The woman pulled a face.

"No, I think I still would have fallen for Sihtric. You are too old for me."

"Too-" Finan trailed off, shooting her an annoyed look as Sihtric joined his side once more. "Yrsa says that I am too old for her."