xiii. bjorn

CHAPTER THIRTEEN ─── bjorn

༓࿇༓

They had been riding for hours before they finally came to a stop, dismounting and leaving their horses hidden before advancing to a rocky outcrop overlooking a farmstead. Uhtred had decided, against Yrsa and Finan's thoughts, to listen to Aethelwold and go and visit a dead man. 

Neither of them were impressed so, for once, the pair were agreeing.

"This is it. Skald's Hall." Aethelwold told them, as Yrsa raised an eyebrow, and then pulled a face. "It was given to Eilaf by his lord, for great service."

"Sihtric, you will go no further." Yrsa and Sihtric both turned to look at Uhtred, eyes wide like two kicked puppies, "not until we are at the hall and inside. At all times, you will remain unseen."

"Yes, Lord." Sihtric nodded his head, turning to shoot Yrsa an apologetic look as she huffed and glared at Uhtred's head. Was this her punishment for not joining them when the king was there? If so, she was even less impressed.

"If the dead man rises, when he returns to his grave, you will keep watching," Uhtred explained, tightening his arm guards. 

"What if he sees me, Lord?" Sihtric huffed, clutching Yrsa's hand tighter. Out of the pair of them, Sihtric was far more superstitious. "What if...What if he knows that I am near?"

"Then you shit yourself." Clapa joked, chuckling as Sihtric huffed quietly, and rolled his mismatched eyes.

"You will remain unseen and keep watch."

"Yes, Lord." Sihtric nodded, as Yrsa turned, pressing a long kiss to his lips. He gave her waist a gentle squeeze, before pressing a kiss to her head "Stay safe. If you need me, I will not be far."

"I will be fine." Yrsa grinned, pressing another kiss to his lips, before turning away and following Uhtred down to Skald's hall on horseback. Beastie shook his head, but Yrsa kept herself still, her hand going to her hatchets. It felt bizarre not having Sihtric by her side, as he had been for many years. She did not like it.

"We are here to see Eilaf, the Skald." Aethelwold called, as Yrsa spat to the side from her position between Finan and Clapa. She really did not like this. "We have an invitation."

"Who leads here?" Someone pushed through the warriors, someone that Yrsa did not recognise but it seemed Uhtred did. "You?"

"I do. I am Haesten," Yrsa had not heard of this lord before but as she looked closer, a memory came to mind of a man who looked like a boar with the brothers Eric and Sigefrid, "and you are Uhtred of Bebbanburg. You spared me at Eoferwic, Lord. You are expected and welcome."