xxv. escape plans

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE  ─── escape plans 

༓࿇༓

 "I left the three of you alone for no more than three hours," Yrsa looked between her husband and Finan, raising an eyebrow. She had only gone to the market to fetch provisions and to get her hatchet sharpened. "Now I find that Uhtred has struck a man dead, and we are now being questioned due to this."

"I think you've summarised it all splendidly, Yrsa." Finan grinned, as Yrsa spun around to stare at the king's guards that were steadily surrounding the house. 

"I am surrounded by incompetent fools." Yrsa muttered, shaking her head once more. Sihtric leant his sword on his shoulders, the other hand reaching out to grasp the woman and bring her back to their side. The cold of the rings on his hand cause the woman to hiss, glaring at her husband.

"Uhtred!" Steapa was shouting Uhtred's name continuously, which was not helping matters in the slightest. "Uhtred!"

Finan began to shush him, spinning around as Yrsa and Sihtric winced. "

"I told you big man, he's resting." Finan and the rest of their merry little band were standing guard around the door to Uhtred's home in Wessex. Yrsa would rather be anywhere else, in particular, her bed.

"Uhtred, do not make me fire the house! That is what I will do!"

"Steapa, do not make me kill you first, that is what I will do." Finan hissed, glare growing.

"Uhtred, do not make me step on your Irishman!" Steapa hissed. "For that is what I will do."

"He's calling you short." Yrsa whispered to Finan. "I would not let him call you short, if I were you, Finan."

"Thank you, Yrsa, I managed to get that." Finan glared.

"Oh, for goodness' sake, stop behaving like children." Hild pushed through, smacking Finan as she went past. "You are goading him."

"I was, Hild, and enjoying it." Finan beamed, as Hild pressed a hand to Yrsa's cheek.

"So the Abbess may enter, but I may not?" Steapa seemed affronted at the notion.

"We're afraid of the Abbess." Finan, Sihtric and Yrsa all nodded as the men around them laughed.

"She is a force to be reckoned with." Yrsa smoothed her breeches, before resting a hand on her hatchet. "I am hungry."

༓࿇༓

When Beocca appeared with the demands of the king, Finan and Yrsa had found themselves some food and were downing it swiftly whilst Sihtric kept an eye on Skade.