xx. matters of the heart

CHAPTER TWENTY ─── matters of the heart

༓࿇༓

"Why did he have me wait here?" Yrsa questioned herself, looking around the stables carefully as she wondered why she had been watching over this area for the past few days. Uhtred had been planning something, something devious, and he had yet to tell any of them. Something that Yrsa was not too pleased with.

She liked knowing things.

She huffed, turning away to glare back across the courtyard as the sound of another horse entering the stables reached her ears. From the corner of her eyes, she could see that it was a dark bay, mud splattering it's legs. It must have been running for a while, but she let her eyes flicker close.

She was tired.

"Yrsa?" Her eyes shot wide open, head spinning around as she saw the owner of the horse. His mismatched eyes were tired, but there was a brightness in them that Yrsa had missed greatly in the weeks of being away from her husband. Sihtric was panting, exhausted from the ride, but still, he held his arms out for her to rush into, pulling her tightly into his chest. "Yrsa."

"You are back." Yrsa clutched onto his furs, clinging to his shoulders as she buried her head in his neck. "I did not think that you would be back. How-? Why-? Wha-?""

"I'm delivering a message to Uhtred." Sihtric cut her off with a smile, placing his hand on her cheek as she tried to recover from her shocked state. Yrsa took a moment to process that, before finally starting to ask coherent questions.

"From who?"

"Erik." Sihtric saw the confusion on her face, but smiled and shook his head. "All will be explained."

"Sih-" His hands came up to rest on her cheeks, pulling her into a soft kiss as all thoughts of the plot left her brain, and Yrsa lost herself in her husband's arms. He pulled away, beaming at the sight of his wife's familiar small grin and red cheeks. "You're home."

"I did promise that I'd come back." Sihtric kissed her again, as Yrsa grinned, before he pulled away. "Can you show me where the others are otherwise I will spend all day kissing you in the stables. Uhtred would kill me."

"I'd protect you." Yrsa chuckled, leaning into his touch as they began to walk away to where Uhtred would be waiting.

They were waiting at an inn, and Sihtric handed Uhtred the letter before slumping down on the bench, with Finan beside him. Yrsa wrapped her arms around his shoulder, tracing the tattoo on his neck as Uhtred read swiftly.