xix. challenge

CHAPTER NINETEEN ─── challenge

༓࿇༓

"Have I ever told you," Yrsa started, turning in her saddle to talk to Finan as they trotted through the Wessex countryside. The man's eyes narrowed, looking at her with hesitance. "That I hate men."

"Yes, multiple times." Finan sighed. He'd been expecting an insult so this was a welcome change.

"I see." Yrsa turned to glare at the back of Aethelred's blond head. "But this one, this one is fighting Aethelwold for the prize of being the man I hate the most and that is not a title that anyone wants."

"Yrsa, for once, I have to agree with you." Finan muttered, both of them rolling their eyes. This trip had only reinforced their hatred of the man, for he was easily the least likeable of all the members of their party. Even the little monk, the newest to travel with them was much better than he was.

The little monk, who looked mightily nervous, was speaking to Uhtred, asking of rituals.

"There will be a heathen sacrifice. The youngest member of the visiting party will be split with an axe." Osferth looked worried, as Yrsa bit back a chuckle. The boy was so gullible. They'd have to teach him not to be like that.

"They will want to humiliate us." Uhtred corrected, shaking his head. 

"In what way?"

"An insult, a challenge." Yrsa was more than ready to volunteer herself if they had to fight someone from their own party. Being able to punch Aethelred would bring her much satisfaction.

"Why?"

"Because they can." It seemed that Finan's words were only meant to bring trouble, for as soon as he opened his mouth, horsemen began to appear on the horizon. Yrsa pulled her horse closer to Finan and Clapa, though Uhtred did not seem to panic. 

"Haesten. We are traveling to Beamfleot."

"For Alfred?"

"For Alfred, yes." Uhtred nodded, as Yrsa's eyes narrowed. She did not truly like this, especially without her husband by her side. She had not fought without him in years.

"I am here to take you on to the fortress, lord, you and two others." Yrsa's eyes widened. Only two?

"I will travel with half my number, no less." Uhtred bargained. Haesten contemplated before nodding.

"Agreed!" It seemed to be going smoothly, until Aethelred opened his mouth.

"The Lady Aethelflaed, she is well?" Uhtred turned to glare at the small man. "There will be no negotiation until I have seen her."