Until the end of my days

Catelyn could tell Dahlia was nervous and the woman couldn't blame her at all. She remembered how nervous she had been for own wedding. Off to marry Ned Stark, a man she barely knew and who was the heir to Winterfell and the whole North. She had married all of the North that day, when she took her vows with Ned in front of the septon, she knew. She hadn't married the man, she had married the Warden of the North. And if that thought had terrifying little Catelyn back then, she couldn't even begin to imagine how it must be for Dahlia.

She was still but a girl, at the tender age of sixteen and, yet, there she was, getting ready to marry her son. No, not her son, Catelyn though. She was marrying the North much like she had. Though Dahlia wasn't marrying the heir to Winterfell and Warden of the North. Oh, no. Dahlia Frey was marrying King Robb Stark, the King in the North and the Trident. The Young Wolf. And she wasn't going to be taken away to Winterfell where she would be able to learn how to live and how to love her new husband and where she could start their family. Dahlia, instead, was about to be crowned a Queen and thrusted further into a war she had never even thought she'd find herself in.

So, really, Catelyn could understand why Dahlia was so nervous. But if there was one thing that not even her nerves could hide, it was the smile on her face when she looked down at the white dress Catelyn had spent her past few days sewing.

It was simple, she knew. Not particularly fit for a Queen, of course. But, considering the situation they found themselves in, at the moment, it had been the best Catelyn had managed. And Dahlia had seemed rather pleased with it anyway.

"It is beautiful, Lady Stark." She smiled, turning around to face the woman who was standing behind her. "Thank you so much."

And Catelyn had smiled then. Because she had dread it. Oh, how she had dreaded it. When she brought forth the news of the betrothal to Robb, she feared he would resent her for it. She feared he would hate her. And, for a while, she thought he did. After all, it wasn't fun, was it? Being forced to marry for political gain. It wasn't fun, she knew, and she had been worried, she couldn't lie. Marrying her oldest boy to a Frey? It wasn't ideal, but it was necessary.

Luckily for everyone involved, Dahlia Frey was a possibility. A young girl, sure, but she was beautiful. Far too beautiful for a Frey, Catelyn though, but a Frey nonetheless. Catelyn had hoped at least her pretty would pacify Robb. Clearly, it had.

"What do you think, son?" Catelyn had asked him the night they had met Dahlia.

"I do not like it at all." Robb had responded then. "But she was the prettiest of the bunch."

And that had been all that Robb had seen of Dahlia during the first few days. But then, something wonderful happened. Something almost magical. Because what happened with Robb and Dahlia, never truly happened with anyone. Falling in love before marriage? That was something only the small folk had the liberty of doing. But it had happened. And it had happened right before her eyes.

Catelyn was sure she had noticed before either of them, but she had noticed it. The fleeting glances, the small smiles, the way the two of them had always seemed to find each other when in need of comfort and the way Robb had constantly tried to have her beside him over the past few days. Catelyn had watched them from afar, feeling her heart soar at the mere idea that her son could have a chance of such a happy life - especially considering every other circumstance around him. She had watched in silence, allowing the two of them to come to the conclusions themselves. And Robb had. Dahlia probably had as well, but she was still shy and polite around Catelyn, so it came as no surprise that she refused to talk to her of anything - especially about her son.

But Robb had talked to her. And, oh, how he had talked.

Catelyn had almost cried when Robb had asked for a word with her only to tell her about how he felt about Dahlia.