Chapter 8

"I really like your dad, Doll," Ashton told Luke as they were driving home.

    Liz had told them to sit in the back together when they looked reluctant to let go of each other upon reaching the car. She wasn't used to her son being so clingy and affectionate and knew it would take a bit of getting used to, but after all he'd done, he deserved to be happy. And it was very clear to her that Ashton was what made him happy.

    "I'm glad," he smiled, snuggling into Ashton's arm. Luke was in the middle seat, practically sitting on his boyfriend. This was normal for them. If they were together, they were hardly ever separate. Sometimes people didn't even notice they were more than one person because they were pressed so closely together it looked like just one human.

    "I can't wait to hear more stories from him,"

    Luke groaned, hiding his face in Ashton's arm while he and Liz shared a laugh.

    "I take it back. You're banned from seeing him again."

    The three of them chatted casually for the rest of the drive home from the hospital. It was easy conversation, Luke hadn't seen his mom in so many years, he had all sorts of things to tell her, and Liz was very happy to learn about who her son was dating.

    When they made it back to the house, Ashton pulled out their luggage and brought it up to the door.

    Liz welcomed them inside, and Luke took a moment to look around.    

    He'd never been here to visit, so he didn't know the layout. Photos were hung on the walls, and the same brown couch from his childhood home sat in the living room across from a new flatscreen TV Luke was sure his dad had begged months for until his mum caved. The hardwood floor was covered by a small floral area rug and round coffee table. Luke looked closer at the rug, certain it was the same one from his childhood. Luke had spilled nail polish on as a kid trying to surprise his mum by doing his nails. He walked over and saw the stain was there. Why had she kept that?

    "Wow, Lukey, you were such a cute baby," Ashton said. He'd set their bags down and was looking around too. Liz had an extensive collection of photos showcased when you first walked into the living room, and they all made Ashton smile. His family wasn't like this; it was sort of new for him.

    "He was, right? I have a couple photo albums I'll have to show you later," Liz whispered, but she knew Luke could hear her. He cringed at the words "tub pictures" but shook his head. He knew no matter how much he protested, Ashton would still see the photo albums.

    "Okay, boys, quick tour time. The kitchen is right over there to the left," She pointed through to the doorway that led out of the room. "Fridge and cabinets are fully stocked, feel free to make yourself at home. Eat whatever you can find, cups are next to the fridge on the right."

    "Thanks, Liz."

    She nodded.

"Are either of you hungry?"

Both boys nodded their heads emphatically. She chuckled.

"Why am I not surprised? I have some chicken, I've been meaning to try this new honey garlic chicken recipe, how does that sound?"

"Whatever you want mum, we'll eat anything. Thank you,"

Liz nodded.

"Would you like some help, Liz? Your son is still useless in the kitchen, but I know my way around,"

Liz's eyes sparkled as Luke glared at his boyfriend.

"No thank you, dear, you and Lukey go relax for a bit. It won't take too long, and you've been traveling all day. I'll call you when it's ready."