Epilogue

There was so much commotion.

    Bells were ringing, people were shouting, he couldn't see anything through the rush of people.

    Luke looked around in panic, not expecting this all to happen so fast. Just moments ago it was quiet, he was practically alone, lost in his own thoughts and then, boom. Instant chaos.

    "Luke, come on, let's go," Calum called from across the room. Luke made his way over, allowing Calum to put his arm around him and lead him away.

    "Thanks," he said when he could breathe. It was so stuffy in there, he had no idea that was going to happen.

    "You all right?" Calum asked once they got to a new room, thankfully with less noise.

    "Yeah, I just want to see him." Ashton, he wanted to see Ashton. It was nerve wracking, having to be separated for so long.

    "I know, you will soon, mate," Calum gave him a sympathetic smile. Luke could still hear the clamoring bells from the church steeple, but it wasn't so overwhelming in here. "I didn't realize that the girls were going to be using that room,"

    Luke shook his head. He hadn't either.

    Today was the day of his wedding.

    Finally, after a year and a half of recovery, Ashton was well enough to walk down the aisle and dance all evening with him.

    After he flatlined in his hospital room, the nurses were able to get him back. He woke up after being shocked back to life and stayed awake. The doctors said for that short minute he was actually dead, but Ashton says it was Luke who brought him back. He came back for him.

    His recovery post-death was slow but steady. He had maintained some substantial bruising on his chest and legs that went away, and a fractured rib that took a long while to heal. The only thing that still bothered him was the shoulder he was shot in.

    The surgeons did everything they could to ensure he'd be fine, but he still lost some of the motion in his left arm. He could raise it forward about to his neck height, but he couldn't extend it farther than that. It was a huge source of frustration for him. He tried his best to remain optimistic, but it was very difficult. He was starting to feel better about it as time went on, and he continued doing physical therapy and stretches to attempt to gain the rotation back. The doctors weren't sure he ever would, but he remained positive.

    Luke tried to be very sensitive to his injury and was always there to support him. Ashton said he never would have been able to endure the PT and recovery without him by his side.

    As soon as Ashton's ribs and legs healed, he immediately got down on one knee and proposed to Luke. He wouldn't do it before, even though he knew Luke knew about the ring. Instead he continued to carry it around with him, almost teasing Luke about it. They were both ecstatic when he was able to propose.

    Ashton picked a random day to bring Luke to the diner, which had been cleared out except for one table in the middle. Like the cliche it turned into, the table was set with fancy China, silk tablecloth, and candles. Ashton pretended it was normal despite Luke's confusion. When he got down on one knee, Luke finally got it.

    Then it was finally the day of their wedding. Harry was happy to be their coordinator and took his role very seriously. (He was even more excited to be the first person they told about their engagement). He and Louis were over at Luke and Ashton's apartment almost every night afterwards for dinner and planning. Harry was exceptionally proud of the wedding he was able to pull off.

    "Are you ready, Lu?" Harry poked his head inside the dressing room he and Calum had moved to.

    Luke nodded, taking a deep breath.

    "You'll be fine, mate. I know you can do it,"

    "Yeah,"

    Harry led them both outside, bringing his ear mic to his mouth.

    "Eagle is flying, I repeat, eagle is flying." he spoke into the walkie-talkie. Luke rolled his eyes at the ridiculous code names. "Okay, Lou, you walk out first, then followed by the flower girls, then I'll follow out with Cal. Luke, you'll be last, yeah?"

    "Got it," Luke was impressed Harry was able to manage being in the wedding and running it at the same time. There was a reason why he and Calum were his co-best men.

    Luke watched everyone exit the foyer, patiently waiting his turn. He was antsy, he hadn't seen Ashton since yesterday afternoon. The longest he'd been away from his fiancee since they were kidnapped was the two hours Ashton had PT and he had therapy once a week. They were constantly together, but both of their PTSD were comforted by being together.

    "Okay, my turn," his stomach was in knots, but the second he heard the music and walked out the door, he knew he was going to be okay. Seeing the brunette waiting for him in the navy suit and red tie, green eyes sparking with tears and that grin on his face calmed his nerves like nothing else ever could.

    They were going to be okay, as long as they were together.

***

I cannot believe this book is actually over. I started with just this little idea that I can't believe turned into two books...I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it. It was tough at some points, but I'm proud of the way it came out.

If you enjoyed this, check out my newest book, The Prince's Curse (title pending, I think I might change it but I gotta think more). That book is ongoing, but I have a couple completed books as well if you want to look at any of them. I appreciate you supporting me in my writing <3

Thanks loves,

~ashtonfortherwin