Chapter 19

Luke hummed as he padded around the kitchen, cooking Ashton's favorite meal.

Chicken teriyaki might have been the only dish Luke could actually cook, but Ashton always said it was his favorite. Luke thought that was really sweet of him and couldn't wait to hear his friends opinions on his best dish.

Harry and Louis were sitting on the chairs in Ashton's kitchen, worriedly watching their friend. They'd been with him for an hour now, waiting to see his reaction.

When Louis said he'd never shown up to the phone store, Luke's face went blank for a moment before he shrugged the comment off.

"I know he'll be waiting for me later." was all he would say in response whenever Ashton was mentioned. Harry spoke to the therapist upon her request, and she asked a couple questions about what Luke was doing. He went back up to his office, saying he had some things to do before he could meet Ashton at home, claiming they had some dinner plans. Caity explained he was likely dissociating from reality and it was very important someone stay with him and keep her updated on what was going on. She also told him at any time if Harry or Louis felt he was getting worse, he should call the hospital and get him help. This state could be dangerous for him.

The therapist also thought that there was something she was missing, something that would help this situation, but for the life of her, she couldn't recall what was bothering her.

"Luke, how are you feeling?" Harry asked. Louis shushed him, not wanting Harry to upset him, but Luke didn't seem bothered. Caity told them not to act suspicious or be super brash when they told him the truth. Luke needed to be treated gently now more than ever.

"I'm fine, just getting this ready. It's almost done~!"He sing-songed as he danced around the kitchen, bringing an almost singed pot to the sink to clean.

Louis bit his lip, looking at Harry with furrowed brows. Luke seemed completely fine, he didn't understand why he was acting this way when he'd gotten the news he had. Ashton still hadn't contacted them. They called all the Verizon's in the area and none of them had seen him. He should be a bit more upset.

"Calum is on his way over," Harry mentioned. He had texted the lad as soon as they left the bar to go home. He figured having all of Luke's friends around him when they re-delivered the news would be helpful. And then they could take turns watching over him.

"Oh, is he stopping by for dinner? I have enough food, I'll just have to set an extra place setting for him. We can squeeze 5 at the table," Luke spoke out loud even though he was only talking to himself. The table was a dark oak, small enough that four would fit comfortably but they could fit five people. Any more than that, they had to set up an extra table or eat someplace else.

"Well, that's the thing Luke. How was your day today? What do you remember?"

Luke stopped stirring the rice to think about it.

"I went to the bar this afternoon. There was a shipment issue. You two came to keep me company and I'm making dinner now for us, Ashton, and Calum."

"Do you..." Harry knew it wouldn't be good to bring it up, but he had to. Watching this was terrible.

At a quick glance, Luke looked fine. He was smiling, but when you looked closer, it was strained. It didn't quite meet his eyes in the way Harry had gotten used to seeing again. His eyes were dull, not their usual bright blue. He danced around the kitchen, but his movements were languid and careful.

He didn't even believe this himself. His mind was repressing the events of the day because he couldn't handle it. It was heartbreaking for his friends to watch.

"Come sit with us,"

"Oh, but I'm almost done and I want to finish before Ashton gets here," Luke insisted, staying by the stove and stirring the chicken and peppers.

"Luke, honey. We don't know where Ashton is,"

Luke frowned, his left eye twitching as the words started connecting.

"I-I'm sure he'll be home soon," he nodded to himself. "It's almost dinner time."

Harry got up, walking over to the stove where Luke had spilled some chicken pieces over the edge when his hands started shaking. Harry gently set his hands over Luke's, taking the spoon from him, setting it down, and turning the stove off. He slipped Luke's hands into his and turned so they were facing each other.

"I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, Luke, but Ashton is missing. We can't get in contact with him, and we don't know when he'll be back,"

He shook his head, but Harry could see the pieces crumbling in his mind. He remembered what was happening, but didn't want to process it.

A chorus of no's tumbled from his lips as his legs began to tremble and he almost dropped to the floor. He would have, had Harry not caught him before he could. Louis got up and the two of them carried Luke over to one of the kitchen chairs.

After a couple of moments, Luke looked in Harry's eyes. He looked pained, but not as confused.

"Ashton won't be coming home?" He asked in a broken voice. It felt like someone stuck rods of ice into his heart. The pain in Luke's voice was nothing he ever wanted to hear again.

"I'm not sure, love. We don't know where he is."

"We should call the police,"

"That's a good idea, Lu," Louis jumped at the productive plan. "Here's your phone," He swiped it from the countertop where he'd had the recipe open and handed it over. "Do you want to or shall I?"

"You," Luke mumbled, leaning into Harry's chest. It wasn't the same as when Ashton held him, but he needed something.

"Yes, hi, I'd like to report a missing person, please?"

Louis looked at Luke and smiled.

"We'll find him, Lu," he whispered as the person on the other end spoke to him. "Yes, his name is Ashton Irwin." He paused. "Uh, maybe since this morning? My friend saw him before he left for work around 1." Louis stood up, walking a little bit away so he could talk to the person on the other end. "I understand, but I'm telling you he's missing. He isn't the kind of person who would just take off. He went to get a phone, and then he didn't come back. He never even made it to the store,"

Harry sighed. He knew missing persons could only be reported after 24 hours, and Louis confirmed that after he spoke a few choice words into the line before hanging up.

Calum arrived right when the phone call ended and Luke dissolved into tears.

"There there," Calum cooed when Luke launched himself into his arms. "We're here for you, mate. You'll get through this,"

***

Any thoughts on where our precious ashy is? Or...with whom??

I have watched the 5 seconds of summer show so many times I can quote it all by now 🥰

~ashtonfortherwin