One

Two friends arrived at the stream. They met three damsels there fetching water into their water pots.

"When the Prince finally chooses me, hey! I'll surely show some disgusting idiots the stuff I'm made of," one of the three damsels said.

The newly arrived ones looked at each other and gave mockery laughter.

"They summon all animals that possess horns, the snail also presents itself," one of the two said.

"I wonder o. If the heir prince will choose a woman, he'll now leave me," the other damsel said, admiring herself. "He'll now leave you, my friend, as beautiful and as endowed as you are for some ugly looking thing like a bald owl."

"Just say a hag," the first added and they laughed.

"I did not know that there are now some fresh mentally retarded ones in Ojulari. I better leave now before the hounds bite me," the woman who first spoke said and carried her pot of water on her head.

"Won't you wait for me anymore, Apeke?"

"You know that you're fat, they can't completely devour you but look at how skinny I am. They'll soon eat me up," she said as she left the stream.

"Are we the carnivores?" The fair-skinned girl among the two asked.

"And am I the ugly looking thing?"

"You wretch!" The fair-skinned girl said and slapped her face.

"You hit me?"

"Ill-bred whore!" The other girl said and pulled the water pot off her head.

The pot of water fell off Apeke's head and broke into pieces.

"Aargh!" She screamed in great ire.

"What will you do?" The two asked.

Apeke untied her wrapper and retied it. She removed her head tie and tied it around her waist.

"She wants to fight," one of the two girls mocked.

Apeke snatched the fair-skinned girl's pot and smashed it on the ground. It broke.

"You broke my pot?"

"Just watch," she said and made to snatch the other lady's pot but the latter held firmly to it.

The fair-skinned girl pulled Apeke with her hair and dealt her punch on her stomach. Apeke returned hers on the girl's face and she bled. The two that were still fetching water went out of the water to separate them.

"Leave yourselves this instant or I'll report you to the village chiefs," the first said.

"Leave your —" the second was saying when one of the two damsels flung her hand and hit her face. "You slapped me?"

"It was not intentionally done but you even deserve it. You can cry for all I care."

They started fighting. Apeke took the fair-skinned damsel while Apeke's friend took the dark-skinned one. The remaining one screamed to whoever was around.

Soon, three elderly men and two women joined them at the stream and separated them.

"Why were you fighting?"

"She insulted me because I said that the prince will choose me," Apeke related.

"She also insulted us."

"They started it. They even broke my pot," Apeke related.

"You started it. You broke my pot too," the fair-skinned one countered.

"You're all unserious. Your parents sent you on an errand, you're here fighting over a man who does not even know that you exist. You're all unwise," one of the elderly women reproved them.

"Very foolish. So if this one had not been as reasonable as to call for help, you'd have killed one another? You better borrow reasoning if you own none," one of the men added.

"Sorry," the damsels said.

"Be sorry for yourselves."

"I just hope that your parents don't kill you for breaking the pots," one of the men said as they left.

You just finished the first chapter of this story.
I hope you found it interesting.