Five

(Sorry for keeping you waiting. Now let's continue the ride!)

★★★

The damsels gathered at the palace arena. They were all elegantly dressed. A lot of the inhabitants of Ojulari was present. They all came to witness the first part of the wife picking.

The queen walked majestically to the front of each damsel and carefully looked at their appearance. At the first glance, she disqualified five of the maidens for dressing either indecently or roughly. She disqualified another five because she did not find them attractive.

Afterwards, she beckoned on the remaining maidens one after the other and asked the inhabitants to make comments on them. Whoever more than two people disapproved of was disqualified by the queen. She also asked how morally brought up each maiden was and the people would tell her the virtuous ones and the morally inclined ones. She did that, knowing that her son would only pick a beautiful face or whoever his heart chose and this maiden might be full of vices. In order to prevent that from happening, she removed every thorn from his son's path.

Apeke and the two she fought with at the stream were removed at that stage. Feyikemi's friend was also disqualified. A lot of the maidens were disqualified. In the end, only twelve maidens remained. They were Iwalewa, Wura, Eniola, Adubi, Asabi, Kunbi, Feyikemi, the maiden that screamed for help during Apeke's fight, two out of Asabi's friends and a twin sisters.

The king picked another date for the completion of the contest.

Feyikemi burst out in derisive laughter as she came across Omolara on her way to the market. Omolara pretended as if she did not notice her and made to walk away but Feyikemi stood in her way with her arms akimbo.

"What do you want from me?"

"I just want to taunt you," Feyikemi said with a smirk. "Didn't you say I'm ugly? Why are you the wretched one? Why were you removed while I remained?"

Omolara shrugged. "If not for those hateful people that lied against me and led to my removal, do you think I'd have been removed? I'm more beautiful."

"Eeya sorry o. Awẹ́lẹ́wà, the girl with the mystic beauty," Feyikemi taunted. "How miserable you are! Just wait until I become the Prince's wife and see how you'll become more miserable."

"Olójú ẹgẹ́, mátànmí. Deceive yourself only. The only place where that is feasible is in your wildest dreams. You can't become his wife in reality. The prince will never choose you over Wura, Iwalewa, Asabi and the rest. You aren't half as beautiful as they are and the brains? You lack that one too."

"We shall see. Who'll be chosen may not be clear yet but one thing that's clear is that you are a failure already," Feyikemi concluded and shoved Omolara away. "Loser!"

Omolara tried hard to fight back the tears as they threatened to pour. She used the edge of her sleeve to clean her face and walked away.

★★★

T

omi smiled wryly as she approached Bankole and his friends where they were playing the ayó game. She greeted them cheerfully but they all acted as if she was not present.

"Bankole, do you want to say that you do not see me?"

"And who do you think you are that I must see you? Are you Mọ́remí or Aláàfin? And of what use is your presence to me? As much as I know, you're a shame and a total failure. You were betrothed to me yet you went for the contest. You failed and now think I'll take you back? You must be crazy."

"I only tried my luck, Bankole. It's you I love."

"And that doesn't sound insensible to your ears? You see, I don't love losers, especially senseless losers. Don't you know that you're a disgrace to whoever chooses to marry you because you're a failure and a betrayer? I hate you as fire hates water so get your horrible and pathetic self out of my sight."

"Bankole, I'm sorry. I wa-"

"Leave or I'll thrash you. You worthless whore!" He raged.

As Tomi walked away in tears, she recollected her chat with her friends days before the contest. 'But still, Tomi should not even interfere in this. Isn't she already betrothed to Bankole?' 'What's your concern? I'll choose whoever I want.' 'I just hope that you don't regret your choice.'

★★★

To be continued...