Four

Wura watched her friends disagree with one another on who the prince would choose among them.

"I'm the one he'll choose. I'm plump and brawny men like him like plump women," one of them said.

"Did you say plump? Plump or fat? Bag of fat!"

"And you? Ill-nourished."

"Two of you are only fighting over it, he'll choose me. I'm dark and beautiful. I'm tall and —"

"And what?" Another cut in. "Who'll choose you? They're calling maidens, you also say you're here. Don't you know that you should stay indoors, crying and if they ask you what's making you cry, you should say it's because you weren't around when they distributed shame. You're shameless I mean."

"You're stupid for saying that, Kunbi."

"You are equally stupid, old hag," Kunbi retorted.

"You this ill-bred."

"And you? Maybe ill-disposed," Kunbi returned.

Wura sighed. "I'm surprised to realise how shameless and quite insensible my friends are."

"What do you mean?" The three asked.

"Are you fighting over a man? We've been friends for how many years? Huh? You now want one competition to tear us apart. Shouldn't we be one and be ready to support whoever the prince chooses among us if luck shines on us? Aren't I beautiful too? Why am I not arguing with you? You simply don't know your worth. If you do, you won't be behaving as if the heir prince is a god or as if your lives can't be meaningful without him. How'd you also tear apart like most friends? Almost all friendships in Ojulari has ended all because of a prince that does not even know of our existence. Even if he does, he can't choose more than one of us. What's the madness for?"

Her friends sighed.

"But still," Kunbi said. "Tomi should not even interfere in this. Isn't she betrothed to Bankole?"

"What's your concern? I'll choose whoever I want," Tomi countered.

"I just hope you don't regret your choice," Wura said.

"One thing I'm sure of is that I'm the one the prince will choose."

"Enough of this, Eniola or we'd have to depart to our houses," Wura said.

"Okay, let's change the topic," Eniola said with a sly smile.

Sweats drenched Bodunrin as Iwalewa confirmed his fears. She would be competing! He quickly held her hands firmly as tears circulated in his eyes.

"Iwalewa, you mustn't do this to me. Where will I start from, Iwa?"

"I'm sorry, Bodunrin. I can't disobey my parents. I love you but it's clear that we aren't destined to be together."

"Ha, this is going to shred my heart in pieces. Do not make my glowing light go dim. I'll become a subject of mockery. I—"

"I am sorry, Bodunrin. You also know that I love you but we have to part ways now. I'm deeply sorry to hurt you. You do not deserve this," she said as her hands slipped away from his hold.

"Iwa! Iwalewa!"

She turned back on him and a tear dropped. She cleaned the tear and walked away.

"Argh, Denrele! Denrele, why are you using your status to put an end to we men's joy? Is it a sin that I wasn't born into a royal family? Why has this befallen me? Oh, Iwalewa left me, look at how my life is crumbling. Oh, my life is in shatters," he bemoaned.

✔️✅✔️
The first round of the contest. 👉✅👇✔️