Seven

The prince emerged to pick his wife. He was dressed in his fitting royal robe. A man of great features. He maintained a sober look as he studied each of the elegantly dressed maidens. He got to Feyikemi and took her hand. The people screamed. Feyikemi herself was super excited.

"Sorry but do not conclude for me, please. I have not chosen her. I only want her to leave the gathering."

Some of the people laughed mockingly as Feyikemi joined the crowd. She clearly heard Omolara's derisive laughter.

"And you, Miss, please, take your leave," he said to Banke with a brief smile.

Banke left with her knees almost buckling. The people had a great time laughing at her awkwardness.

The prince' smile broadened when he got to the twins, "You're both ravishing and queenly but choosing among you is not what I'll do."

"But why, my prince?" The twin sisters asked in unison.

"I don't want you to envy each other."

"We won't, my prince. We both know that we don't have the same fate even if we have same face and qualities."

"You're right and I love to hear that. Nevertheless, none of you is my choice."

The twins joined the crowd and afterwards, the prince removed Iyabo, Tejumola and Kunbi. When he got to Eniola, he drew his head closer to her and the crowd were awestruck, even Eniola froze. The prince whispered in her ear. "My mother wants you for me, maybe because our mums are friends. But it's a pity that my heart doesn't want you."

Eniola nodded and immediately joined the crowd. The people wondered what transpired between them. A lot of the people had taken a bet and cast lots that she would be the chosen one, knowing her mother's relationship with the queen.

He got to Adubi and caressed her face. She smiled, her heart thumping loud and hard.

"You may leave now."

Her heart skipped a beat. "M-my prince, I-"

"I admire you but you're not my choice. Kindly leave.

Adubi walked away with shaky legs.

He got to Asabi and smiled. "You're one of the ladies I respect, Asabi but unfortunately, you're not my type."

Asabi sighed. "Alright, my prince." She joined the crowd.

The prince turned to the crowd. "Now, here's the two ladies I had always admired. Who do you think is going to be my choice. They will decide!"

"Bastard! He has always admired another man's woman!" Bodunrin seethed where he stood with his friends. His friends made sure they surrounded him so that he did not over react.

The prince got to Wura and smiled. "Wura."

"Yes, my prince."

He whispered in her ear. "How much do you love me?"

Her heart pounded furiously. "Even though I never showed it, I had always wanted you." She sighed. "Right now, my body badly anticipate your fondle."

He chuckled. "I'm sorry that I'll be depriving you that for now but wait, let me know how Iwalewa feels about me." He got to Iwalewa and studied her for a moment. She was avoiding his gaze. "Iwalewa."

"Yes, my prince."

The prince whispered in her ears and she nodded. "But why are you so nervous? I've always wanted you but now I've realised one thing, you so much love your man that you cannot even give me a chance."

"No, my prince. It's you I choose," she said aloud.

Bodunrin's heart raced.

"I do not choose you, Iwalewa."

The prince shut his eyes briefly and mumbled, "I lost."

As Iwalewa walked back to join the crowd, she caught Bodunrin's sneer. She was sure he was disgusted with her.

"And here's my chosen one!" Prince Denrele announced, holding Wuraola's hand up triumphantly.

The people shouted for joy as they clapped their hands.

The prince pulled her to himself and kissed her then took her along to his seat and she sat beside him.

One of the chiefs stood up. "As for the other eleven finalists, you will have valuable gifts which the king and queen had prepared for you," one of the chiefs announced.

The people screamed for joy.

"Now is the time to make merry," another chief said.

The people screamed more in elation. They started beating the drums and a feast ensued.

★★★

To be continued in the last chapter...