Three

Feyikemi and her friend chatted as she helped her plait her hair outside her parent's house.

"Bade to me? That lowly thing opening his mouth to say that he loves me is a big insult to me. I've been ridiculed!" Feyikemi related.

"Ridiculed? Bade is quite handsome though he is not very rich and he commands respect from young and old," her friend countered.

Feyikemi hissed. "Well done o. I didn't know that it's respect that he commands, I thought it is disrespect. I said someone is low in status to me! Can't you see me? As bright as a cloudless day. Even the prettiest flutterby is only competing with me. I'm —"

Her friend gave mockery laughter. "Haha Feyikemi, you're too full of yourself. Accept it or not, Bade is your match."

"You must be out of your mind, Omolara. How'd you say that I and Bade match? You didn't say I and the heir prince."

Omolara laughed hysterically. "You and who? Where will I be when he chooses you? You must be daydreaming."

"You are insane for voicing out such words!" Feyikemi said as she stopped plaiting Omolara's hair. "It's today that I realise how self-centred you are. You're not a good friend at the least. You this cheap, worthless, of no importance piece of trinket!"

Omolara stood up and faced her friend. She clapped her hands together. "All those insults just because I told you the truth? Hasn't anybody ever told you that you look like a crone? An ogress? How'd you think that the prince will want you when I am around?"

Feyikemi was completely vexed. "I repeat, you're insane!"

"You're the one that's mentally retarded. If not, you'd have known that you don't have a chance. You're not even worth being my friend. I've only been enduring. Ugly looking thing like a bald bat."

"I'm more beautiful and that's what's killing you. You're only jealous. You're not even endowed. Flat chest, flat butt, duff brain. Specialist in being an idiot!"

"You too, animal," Omolara retorted, took her head tie and left.

"Wayward, wretched whore."

Iwalewa beamed with smiles as Bodunrin fondled her cornrows. She was stunningly beautiful. She watched him with love in her eyes. The two rested their gazes on each other's face.

"Iwalewa, I'm only smiling but I'm far from being calm inside," Bodunrin said.

"Why?"

"It is all about your parents asking you to compete for the prince's love. What is going to our love if he picks you?"

"Don't mind my parents. I won't contest."

"Should I believe you, Iwalewa? I'm scared."

"It's my life, Bodunrin, so believe —."

Her mother came out of the hut and cut in, "It seems as if you've gone deaf, Bodunrin. I said that I don't want to see you with my daughter again. Am I the one that made you ill fortunate?"

Bodunrin was calm. He pleaded with his two eyes. His full firm lips quivered but no words formed.

"If I ever see you in my house again, I'll cut off your legs. There's no way I won't report you to the elders. Leave her alone!"

"Mother, he is who my heart craves for and I'll marry him!"

"You're only fooling yourself. You aren't destined to be with just anyone, you're to be with the prince."

"Bodunrin is not just anyone. He's been mine since we were very young. He's even rich. What more do you want? Is it by force to be a queen?"

She closed her eyes. "If I open my eyes and find you here, Bodunrin, I'll pour hot water on you."

"Mother, I deeply love Iwa—"

"Who's your mother? Is she lost or you've gone suddenly blind? I repeat, if I open my eyes."

Bodunrin shook his head. He kissed Iwalewa fondly on her forehead and walked away.

"Mother, I'm tired of you and your husband's troubles. You're frustrating me and I'll leave your house.

The elderly woman hissed. " You have nowhere to go. Shior, you'll soon praise me for helping you take this step when you finally become the queen," she said as she entered.

"I love my man! I don't want to be a queen. Is it by force?"

"Yes! If that's the only solution," the woman's voice rang out.

Alabi tickled Adubi as he got to her back under a tree. She turned to him with an unfriendly stare.

"What's wrong, my love? Why do you look so dull?"

"I'm here to tell you that it's over between us."

"Over?" He laughed. "What sort of a joke is that?"

"Who's joking? I'm going to be the next queen of this land."

"What nonsense are you saying, Adubi?"

"You expect me to choose you over the heir prince? He's far better than you. Yes, you have money and power, but the dignity that comes with the crown?" She asked and sighed. "Listen, I have been dreaming of him lately. In one of my dreams, he put a crown on my head!"

Alabi shook his head. "Those are nightmares, Adubi. We're meant to be."

She snickered. "I'm done with you, Alabi. I was only managing you. Luck has decided to shine on me."

"Are you kidding?"

"Dumb thing, just stand there and watch me become the mother of Ojulari."

"Adu—"

"Please," she drawled as she walked away.

Alabi felt hot tears circulate in his eyes.

It's finally getting closer to the first round of the contest.
Keep reading and don't forget to vote.