Two

No damsel in Ojulari wanted herself to be left out of the contest. They all wanted to be the heir prince's wife. Even if there was a damsel that had no interest in contesting, her parents would not accept such and even if her parents allowed, her friends might not.

Prince Adenrele was the king to be. Every inhabitant of Ojulari loved him. He was kind, respectful, brave, handsome and graceful. He was to choose one of the beautiful maidens in Ojulari. He knew he needed wisdom and prudence in doing so. He needed no one to help him on such a matter because could not trust anyone; not even his friends, siblings and parents. He knew they could favour someone who bribes them or that they loved for some dubious reasons.

Asabi watched her friends as they started the discussion of the upcoming contest. She was not only stunningly beautiful, but she was also full of virtues and from a wealthy family. Her father owned farms and farm animals. He was also a reputable chief in the land.

"Who does not know that we don't have a chance?" Asabi asked, after listening to their words and arguments.

"What do you mean?" Her friends asked in unison.

"Torr. I've been looking at each of you talking as if he'll choose more than one woman. I am the one he'll choose. No, I'm the one. You? No, it's me. Just tell me, will his parents not interfere in the wife picking?"

"So? What if they intervene?"

"You think there won't be a rich one who'd have paid the queen to make the prince choose their daughter?"

The dark, chubby maiden scoffed. "I don't think you know the prince too well. Do you think his parents can force a woman on him? He'll choose whoever he loves."

The tallest girl added. "Just don't mind Asabi. The only thing his parents can do is to make the girl pass the first test. They can't help her pass the other test."

"Oho," others supported.

"Well, I've heard you but one certain thing is that he won't pick more than one woman."

"Of course."

"So stop arguing about who he'll choose. Just pray he chooses you."

"Why are you even talking as if you're not competing?"

"Why won't I compete? I'm talking that way because I am advising you, not myself."

Her friends shrugged. "It's okay."

"Now let's return to our folklore of the Agbabiaka clan," the tallest girl said.

More on the way.
Let's read sbout more maidens.
Would you like to read about very close friends that tore apart?

Please remember to vote this part and comment.

✌️😍

With love.