Six

Apeke found her way to her one of her friend's house when the two refused to come to hers as they used to. Everyone in the village knew that she was the head among her friends so they frequently visited her in her abode. She met the two in Banke's house.

"Aha. Banke, Kemisola. Why did both of you refuse to come to my place?"

The two looked at each other and dissolved into laughter.

"What do I want to do with a failure like you?" Banke asked.

"Banke, you called me a failure?"

Banke raised her brow. "Did I make a mistake? Aren't you just that?"

"Didn't Kemisola too fail?"

"Did I dispute that fact? And did I tell you that I want to associate with her too? She's only being a pest in my life. An ectoparasite I suppose."

"I? A pest?"

"Yes. Both of you should leave me alone. A cliché goes thus; show me your friends and I will tell you who you are. Don't turn me into your unfortunate type. I don't want to see you again. Leave and never look back. The flood never rushes and looks back."

Kemisola stood up from the wooden stool, "We? Your friends?"

"My former friends! I don't have losers as friends!"

"We are your friends for-"

"Don't even use 'we' again!" Apeke butt in. "Didn't you join her in laughing at me when I arrived? You pest!" She turned to Banke. "And you Banke, you should remember how I used to feed and clothe you. How I -"

"Story for the gods. I'm now your mother and you should start respecting me."

"You're fooling yourself if you think that sane prince will choose you where there are the likes of Adubi, Iwalewa and the rest. You're the least of all."

"I'll be chosen. If you like, go and kill yourself!"

Apeke hissed. "I'll wait till you fail before returning my insults," she said and walked away, seething.

"And you, what are you waiting for?"

"You'll regret this, Banke."

"Depart from here!" Banke screamed.

★★★

Bodunrin decided to take the bold move. He went to Iwalewa's house and summoned her out. She looked nervous.

"Iwalewa, are you still going to continue the contest?" He asked and she nodded. "I hope luck shines on you but if it is otherwise, do not think that you have a man to run back to like the other losers are doing."

Iwalewa brazened up. "You know I've never been a loser and I can never be one. If I want something, I'll get it. Wait and watch till the end."

Bodunrin sighed, locking his gaze with hers. "You've shattered my heart that I can't ever think of giving it to you again, seeing how patched up it is now."

"I do not ask for it either. Wait till I do so. Bodunrin, can I take my leave?"

"You can."

Iwalewa turned to leave and a tear escaped her eye. She cleaned the tear. She feared losing both men.

Bodunrin closed his eyes, covered his face with his palms and heaved a heavy sigh. "How come you've become so heartless, Iwalewa? Why have you made me a subject of mockery? I hate myself for loving you. I deeply hate myself."

The twelve maidens gathered together at the palace arena. A greater number of the inhabitants of Ojulari were also present. They all wanted to know who would be the lucky one.

★★★

Now, it's time for the last contest. Who do you think is gonna be the winner?
***
To be continued...

The Next Queen Contestजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें