Chapter 5

Running after a human was the last thing TRITON wanted to be doing right now

Running after a human was the last thing TRITON wanted to be doing right now. The surface was the last place he wanted to be right now. Yet, here he was on the surface running after a human. She was surprisingly fast, but he caught up with her. He resisted the urge to reach out and grab her knowing she was terrified.

"Callie, slow down!" He ordered as he ran along beside her. This command had the opposite effect. Giving up, he threw himself in front of her and they fell down together. She scrambled up spraying sand everywhere.

"Stay back!" she yelled. In the dusky ocean twilight, no one was around to witness this scene unfold, a fact that did not help the poor girl's disposition.

"Let me explain---"

"Who are you?"

He began rising up on his knees to stand. "Okay, this---"

Backing away, she held her hands held out in front of her, as if they could summon a force field, and circled around him wide without turning her back. "No! No! You don't stand. You don't move. You stay on the ground. Tell me the truth. Now. That thing had a fish head! Oh my god, I sound crazy! The hell are you?"

"Hey! Kash is not a thing. He has feelings."

"That's beside the point!" she screeched hysterically.

He winced holding his ringing ear. "Okay, okay. Just stop yelling!" She was taking small steps backwards towards her house that was now in view. Measuring the distance with her eyes, her plan to make a break for it was transparent. He rushed to put her mind at ease. "Okay. I'll tell you the truth. Kashimur is the captain of my guard. We are both from Atlantis. It's a kingdom on the deepest ocean floor hidden away from humans. Do you see why I couldn't tell you all that before?"

Multiple emotions crossed her face. Shock and disbelief widened her eyes, fear pulled down the corners of her lips, and a trembling astonishment finally contorted her face completely. A nervous laugh bubbled out. "Oh my. Oh my goodness, y-you're being serious right now. Oh, please tell me you're not being serious! Please tell me I didn't invite a raging lunatic into my house."

"I mean... wasn't the talking fish head proof enough for you?"

She blinked and slowly nodded. "So you're a ... a merman? But you don't look..."

"I am able to change form to adapt to my surroundings."

"So you usually have a fish head like... that thing?"

He looked at her like that was the strangest conclusion she could have came to. "No! Of course not. Again, Callie, he isn't a thing. Rude. His people were created by the ancient sea gods to serve my people. My kind are descended from those gods. I, myself, am the direct descendant of the God Neptune and heir apparant to the Throne of Oceanus. You, dear human, have been blessed by my presence. You're welcome."