Chapter 16

DELPHI rode down the street on a bicycle, kicking up her feet as the pedals moved of their own accord down a hill. The little bell trilled as fast her triggering fingers. It took her a while to master the two wheeled contraption. Erza could make her a fake driver's license with ease, but conjuring up her own car was beyond her capabilities. The seawitch did not trust the Atlantean with her car. The bicycle was her only mode of transportation when she didn't want to bother her roommate for a ride.

When she reached her destination and locked her bike, she quickly straightened up her appearance. She was prepared for perspiration. Replacing the deodorant and perfume back in her backpack purse, she spotted the reason for her impromptu visit to Ocean Life Rehab Center, a heart-shaped box of chocolates.

She was still a little incensed from discovering this holiday only just this morning on the day of! When a jewelry commercial interrupted her program talking about popping the question with a diamond "you know she'll love" with a Valentine's Day collection of sparkling gems, she asked Erza what Valentine's Day was. Who knew the humans would have a whole day about celebrating how wonderfully spectacular love was!

According to Erza, the humans used Valentine's Day to go out on dates and spend money on cards, flowers, and candy. She made it sound like a whole conspiracy, but Delphi's mind flooded with images of perfect date scenarios with Hayden: eating a gourmet dinner by candlelight in Paris as fireworks lit up the sky, sky diving with heart parachutes over the Grand Canyon, slow dancing with fireflies at twilight in the rainforest, snuggling by a crackling fire in a winter cabin in the Alps! This world was full of possibilities and she wanted to see and experience all of it!

And it will all start with this tiny box of chocolates she got from the dollar store.

She had immediately called Hayden to see what he was doing. He was at work and didn't have time to talk since it was time to feed the penguins.
Hoping he was still there, she skipped to where they kept the penguins. She was familiar with this place. She had gotten a job in the custodial services to be near him when she first came to the surface. Her plan was to apply for the next internship available... if she will get to stay.

Shaking the negative thoughts, she checked her reflection one last time in the glass of a fish tank.

As she opened the door to the penguin viewing area, she heard Hayden say, "Thanks for coming by."

"Of course. I've missed you," a girl said before Delphi could answer. The mermaid quickly hid from sight. She peeked out and spotted Hayden in the penguin's habitat with a girl. From the social media stalking Delphi performed, she knew who the girl was by her raven black hair and the infinity symbol tattooed on her forearm. Farrah.

Farrah sat on a icy rock as Hayden threw the swarming penguins their lunch. He hollered back at her over their honking, "For real, though, I'm glad you're back. But why? Is everything okay?"

"Yeah. It was just a lot of stress. Vienna wasn't what I expected. I thought I could handle being so far away, but... I missed so much."

"But it was what you wanted." Hayden's tone grew a rigid exterior. "What about your fancy school? Your dream of being in an orchestra?"

"Do you remember what you said when I left?"

"I said a lot... that I regret. I'm sorry. You were right. I was being selfish saying that you cared more about your career than me... I was an awful boyfriend. I should've supported you."

"No, it wasn't fair of me to just make plans and not talk to you about it. I'm sorry I made you feel like you didn't matter to me. You really did. You still do."

Delphi's heart sank as a silence enveloped the echoing space. She peeked around the corner to see what they were doing. They were not kissing. That was a relief. Hayden continued throwing the dead fish to the artic birds not commenting on his exgirlfriend's words.