Chapter 9

The night left a chill in the morning air

The night left a chill in the morning air. The wind sprayed Callie with ocean mist as she walked down the beach. She wore a fitted bright blue jacket with matching shorts. Neon yellow stripes accented the outfit on the seams. By the time the sun peeked out from the horizon, she would have it tied around her waist.

She usually did not wake up this early, but today was special. A week ago, around the time her dad returned home, some kids on the beach were playing in the sand and dug up some eggs. The eggs were quickly identified as sea turtle eggs. It takes only three to seven days for baby turtles to dig up to the surface. Since then, Callie had been coming every morning, noon, and night with her camera hoping to take pictures. Sometimes Triton would accompany her but never in the mornings. He was still asleep when she left the house earlier. He and her dad had stayed up late last night playing Scrabble. After that rocky start, they actually got along quite well. Triton was very polite and on his best behavior for her dad.

"You like my dad more than me!" She accused him last night when the doctor and the mer prince had laughed at some inside joke Callie was not privy to.

He had shrugged and with a mischievous smile, said "Maybe", before running out of her dish tower's reach.

Approaching, she was careful never to walk too close to where the tiny caution flags marked the reburied eggs, not wanting to disturb the hatching process. She came to a stop. Someone was already there kneeling beside the flag and looking out at the white caps of the restless waves.

She hadn't seen Delphi since Triton made that deal with her, which was three weeks ago. Seeing her now, on the beach with the tide bowing at her feet, was nothing short of magical.

I wonder what her fish tail looks like. Would that be weird or rude to ask? Wait... do they even have fish tails? Despite living with Triton, she still didn't know much about him or his people. His answers always seemed to sprout more questions to his enjoyment and her annoyance.

"Hi," Callie called out.

Recognition lit up Delphi's eyes. "Oh... it's you. What do you want?"

"I just came to see if the turtles have hatched."

"No, they haven't yet. Please be on your way now."

Callie was taken back by the curt dismissal. "I'm sorry. Have I offended you?"

"You are Triton's lackey, so yes, your presence does offend."

"Whoa! Hold the phone, lady fish. I am not his lackey! I am just giving him a place to stay. I was actually on your side about the whole forbidden love thing... so..." Trailing off, she toed at the sand. She wanted to ask how that was going, but it seems she was not in the position to do so.

Delphi narrowed her eyes. "Why should I believe you?"

"You don't have to. I'll go now. It was nice meeting you..." Callie turned and began walking back down the beach.