Chapter 7

Four hours. Four hours filled with Breaking Benjamin, Asking Alexandria, Peirce The Veil, and 30 Seconds To Mars.

  It was only when I felt myself starting to doze off that I suggested we turn in for the night.

  I was shocked that none of the others had complained about our rather loud music, but grateful nonetheless.

  Virgil walked the two feet it took to get to my door and said goodnight. I said the same. He walked away and I shut the door. Twisted the lock. Double checked it by attempting to open the door. It remained shut.

  I turned around and caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. Bloodshot eyes. Slumped posture. Messy hair. Wrinkled clothes. Then I caught a glimpse of someone else in the mirror. Red irises. Unnaturally tall. A body reminiscent of a black hole. A demon.

  I didn't start. Although I had never seen it before, I felt as though I knew this figure well. It was familiar. Non-frightening, yet unmistakably sinister.

  It spoke with a disembodied voice that resonated throughout my body.

  Tired, are we?

  I shrugged in a rather blasé manner, but the being remained emotionless and still.

  Thomas probably is too, yes?

  I nodded.

  I don't believe you deserve to sleep. In fact, neither does he. The both of you are lazy, selfish creatures.

  My eyes fell to the floor, and I was filled with a certain sorrow that only those who share Thomas' newfound affliction know of. I nodded.

  Maybe you should make sure he knows that.

  My gaze slowly lifted back to the dark reflection of the being. Another voice was speaking, just as familiar but in a different, better way. It was calling me.

  The world around me began to fade away, but the being and the mirror remained. The voice still called.

  Y/n...Y/n...

  I felt the sensation of falling asleep as the voice got louder.

  The being's hand lifted and came to rest on my shoulder. I couldn't feel it. I only felt cold where the dark hand was lain.

  Y/n...Y/n...

  Those foreboding red eyes were all I could see as my body faded with the rest of my room.

  Y/n...Y/n...

  With a final breath that sent shivers down my spine, the being spoke two more words.

Wake up.

.

.

.

"Y/n...Y/n."

  I felt a hand on my shoulder, gently shaking my heavy body. My eyes fluttered open to see Virgil looking down on me. A small smile graced his pale face.

  "Finally. Y'know, you're a pretty heavy sleeper."

  I slowly pushed myself up and looked around to find that I was still in his room, laying beside him on his bed.

  A quick glance at the clock revealed it to be ten-thirty at night. My eyes wandered back up to his face and his soft, lopsided smile. I remained expressionless.

  "Sorry."

  My voice carried no emotion, which perfectly matched what I felt. Nothing. His smile faltered ever so slightly.

  "No, it's uh...don't worry about it."

  His brows furrowed and his eyes conveyed a certain confusion.

  "I have to go now."

  I turned and lowered my feet to the floor, pushing myself up into a standing position.

  "Oh...uh, okay. G'night."

  I walked to his door and pulled it open before pausing in the doorway.

  "Goodnight."

  I didn't look back, but I could feel his eyes on my back as I pulled the door shut. I noticed the doorway was still splintered and broken, but I didn't take time to analyze it.

  I walked down to the living room in long, purposeful strides. Had anyone poked their heads out to see me in that moment, they would've known by the way I moved and carried myself that I was on a mission.

  I quickly descended the stairs and made my way to the couch. I sat in the center and closed my eyes, my hands on my knees and my head tilted upwards.

  I felt myself sink out of our reality and into one that I knew just as well. I opened my eyes and turned my head to the left to see Thomas leaning on his arm, blankly watching a mindless program on the TV.

  The colors and lights danced across his face. He looked just as emotionless as me. He was just as emotionless as me.

  "You're useless y'know. Nobody really needs you, they just tolerate you."

  The words rolled from my tongue of their own accord, as naturally as if I was saying my name. Thomas' lips parted slightly as if he was going to reply, but they closed again soon after.

  "If you keep being emotionless like this, they'll want to be around you even less. Nobody wants to spend time with someone incapable of feeling anything other than emptiness."

  His face remained the same but his eyes reflected the pain in his soul. He was suffering. And so was I.

  "You only cause problems. Everybody would be better off without you."

  He uttered a low sigh and nodded his head almost imperceptibly.

  "There's really only one solution you know. Only one thing that'll make it all right."

  I turned my head to the TV, watching the pixels dance across the screen and form characters engaging in comical conversation. I watched the show with glazed eyes and a frosted soul.

  I didn't want to say this, but I had to. It was the only thing to do. It was necessary, instinctual even. Just as birds fly to warm weather and spiders weave their intricate webs, I must speak what I feel about Thomas and his life. About his friends and family. About his heart. His truly rotten, filthy heart.

  I opened my mouth and felt the words leave me so quickly I was almost unsure of whether I had said them. Two simple words that made all the difference. Words that could very well decide the fate of Thomas, me, and the rest of the Sides. Two words that had the power to change...everything.

"Kill yourself."

______________________________________
Please please please don't give in to these thoughts if you ever have them! There are hotlines to help and people to talk to! You guys can PM me anytime you want! It'll probably take me a while to answer, but I swear I will! I love you all, and I wish you good fortune! Bye!