Prologue . . .

Prologue . . .

Kylie age 16

I shivered against the cold, the red dress that I had bought from a hand-me-down shop did nothing to shield me from the wind.

My once perfect curls were now nothing but a ball of frizz around my face. How long had I been saving to buy that stupid curling wand just to let it go to waste?

It was supposed to be simple when you were sixteen. There were supposed to be parties and boys. I was stupid to assume I could live a normal life, even if it was for only one night.

This night couldn't get any worse.

"Sweetheart?"

I cringed at the voice, looking up at Dean who had a very attractive woman hanging from his arm. Her eyes were glassy, his too, showing the many drinks they had endured tonight. Her lipstick was smeared slightly on her chin, some of it staining Dean's perfect lips.

"I-I'm sorry." I stood up, my bare feet biting into the gravel, my red heels in my hand.

"Woah, woah, woah." He caught my arm, the woman standing behind him was scoffing with annoyance. "I thought you were at that dance thing with Sammy and that football player . . ." He trailed trying to come up with his name. "Mark?"

"Matt." I corrected.

"Whatever." Dean smiled before his eyes went to the broken strap that was now hanging on my left side. His jaw clicked before he met my gaze, all signs of amusement gone. "Where is he?"

"Dean-"

"Where. Is. He?" Every word Dean spoke was through gritted teeth.

I looked down at my bare feet, studying my toes that I had worked so hard to paint red. "The ER." I whispered.

"The-" I watched as Dean's lips pursed into an 'O' as he tried to comprehend my words. He placed his hands on his hips beneath the brown leather jacket, shifting on his feet. "You sent your date to the emergency room?"

"It was all a joke Dean." I huffed. "The popular football player asking me, the quiet freak, out to prom. They made fun of me, and then he called me easy and broke my dress. So I . . . broke his nose." My voice got quieter and quieter the more I spoke, my eyes welding up with tears at the memory of the popular group cornering me at the dance, laughing at me.

I listened as Dean let out a heavy sigh. "Where's Sammy?"

I licked my bottom lip, letting my tongue tease one of the painful cracks that were caused from crying. "He's-He's at the dance. I didn't tell him." I wrapped my arms around myself, embarrassed and cold.

Sam had been just as excited as I was to go to a dance, to be a normal teen for once. I couldn't ruin the night for him because I was a freak.

"Alright." He let out, his hand burying itself in his hair.

"Look De-" I started, wanting to apologize to him for ruining his night.

"Stay here, okay?" He interrupted before wrapping his heavy leather jacket around my shoulders, his scent instantly surrounding me and calming me. "Go inside. Put on your pajamas and get in my bed." He instructed.

"I can just go find somewhere to crash for a while." I offered, my eyes meeting the annoyed blonde as she popped the gum in her mouth.

He rolled his eyes and shook his head. "Go. Now."