𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

The day had passed quickly and already Sam was dressing Caleb to go to Deanna's house

The day had passed quickly and already Sam was dressing Caleb to go to Deanna's house. She herself had exchanged her clothes full of paint for a simple and flowery dress to match the occasion. The little boy was sitting proudly on the bed, dressed in comfortable shirt and pants, swinging one foot against the edge of the bed while Sam wearied his second shoe on the other.

"There you go!" said Sam, raising her hands with a satisfied look and garnering a small chuckle as Caleb, happily balled his little fists under his chin. Giving him a big kiss on the cheek Sam took him in her arms to get downstairs.

"Look at you two!" Aaron exclaimed as he came from the kitchen. Eric reached out to Caleb from his seat at the dining room's table. "Look at this little angel !" He said, grabbing the child.

"And you put on a dress!" Aaron said as he came over to Sam and grabbed her hand to spin her around.

"Oh please stop making a big deal of it, it's not prom night." Sam smiled embarrassed but burst out laughing again as her friend danced a rough tango with her in the middle of the room.

Sitting down next to Eric after Aaron dropped her to go back to his tomato sauce she put her arm around her injured friend's shoulders.

"Maybe he'll fall asleep quickly and I'll have to come home early to put him to bed " Sam said hopefully as she rested her head on Eric's shoulder.

"Maybe yes, maybe not" he teased her, Caleb was in his arms, busy chewing on a toy he was teething on.

"I have to make an effort, I promised Maggie I'd come" Sam said, getting herself motivated. "I can't even imagine how strange it must be for them all after so much time outside" she finished.

"I hope it's gonna be okay" sighed Eric, concerned.

Sam stood up with Caleb clinging to her neck and placed a kiss on Eric's cheek. She then headed to the kitchen, Aaron was standing in front of a pot whose smell was permeating the entire house. Sam took in her mouth the spoon he held to her.
Sam shouted a last "Goodbye" as she closed the front door.

On the way to Deanna's house, Sam met Jessie, a friend she had made over the months in Alexandria.
A silence settled after their small conversation and after a little hesitation, Sam decided to broach a thorny subject between the two women.

"Did he do it again?" Sam asked after discreetly examining a possible wound on her friend's body out of the corner of her eyes, worried to hear the answer.

Jessie shook her head as she looked down. "I've already told you a hundred times that everything is fine," she sighed, unconvinced.

"I know what's going on, and you know it."A pang of guilt lodged in the pit of Sam's stomach as she said the words.  She readjusted Caleb who was busy playing with her hair and stopped to face Jessie. Deanna's house was already in sight.