S I X T E E N

Song : Frightened Rabbit - Death dream
The Next Morning
December 31st 2016
Narrators POV

"So, where are you from?" He's trying to make conversation, but she just wants to sit in silence and drown in her own thoughts. There are still about ten minutes left on this ride and she doesn't want to be rude, so she clears her throat and fixes her posture, and puts on a smile.

"I'm from here, originally. I'm moving back." The raise of his eyebrows, the over exaggerated grin, he couldn't give a damn about where she's really from. He's just trying to butter her up so he can get a good tip. The longer she observes people the more she realizes just how selfish everyone is internally.

"Ooh, how long were you gone did you miss us? Where are you coming from? I just have so many questions." His questions only hit her like a blunt force making her cringe on the inside but nevertheless keeping her tuff exterior. Not allowing him to see that Z is anything but confident.

How could he be so genuinely excited about these questions if he didn't really know the person he was asking, it just felt fake...

She takes a breath, preparing to answer all his questions in a swift manner. "Six years, why else would I come back, and Jersey." His brow raise in glee, his joy is almost sickening. "You know that explains the accent."

What accent? No one had ever told her that before.

"I'm sorry what? I have an accent?"

"A heavy one." He chuckles.

Her first thought was to text Ethan, to tell him how funny it is that someone thinks she has a Jersey accent. That someone thinks she of all people could have one, especially when he's the one who would make fun of the way she said words like 'bit' he'd point it out any chance he got when they were younger.

It was so funny to him he thought she was saying 'bet', just like that the smile on her face was now genuine, simultaneously and ironically the same thing that made her heart flutter also made it ache.

Not even hours ago she told him he was worth fighting for, and now, now... she's in Colorado because she couldn't tell him the truth. She didn't want to see him hurting, more than ever she understood why her mom left with no goodbye.

It's not to say she didn't want to, it's that she knew she wouldn't be able to say goodbye. She knew if she did she wouldn't have the heart to leave.

She stares out the window, admiring the familiar place. It almost feels like a dream being back here again, she hadn't even thought about what it all really meant. Old teachers, friends... would they even remember her?

So many thoughts going through her head.

The driver takes a few more turns, a left here, a right there. It doesn't take long for them to reach an amazing neighborhood, Rocky Ridge Estates there's even a gate, but lucky for them it's open right now and they drive right through.

She can't help but gawk in awe at the scenery around her. It's beautiful, the houses are not only big, but they're perfectly designed. The outside of the houses are decorated with beautiful slabs of stone, some houses Gray, some white, some brown. She never knew she could be so in love with the design of a house.

Her mouth falls a bit ajar as they keep going, it seems the deeper they drive into the neighborhood, the bigger the houses are getting. There is no way her mom lives here, there is no way she's going to live here.

It quickly hits her that this is all her reality when the taxi reaches what looks like a three story house, covered in white and gray stone with the tallest pillars she's ever seen outside the massive front door, with her mom standing outside the doors.