Coming Clean

Because Batman wanted him home in time for his Birthday

Goings on at summer camp, were eclipsed by the first trial of the Justice League Boom Tube. The entire tower was evacuated. Blast shields were set up. Every kind of monitoring equipment anyone could think of was assembled and pointing at a preselected location on the ground floor just outside the tower. It was actually a smoker's patio.

Shield had been informed of the test. The Avengers had talked about it ad-nauseum and finally reluctantly admitted there was no way to exclude Shield and not end up in the super villains category. The Helicarrier was on stand by in the harbor. Armed soldiers were pointing weapons of mass destruction at the smoker's patio and Robin was at summer camp painting a pet rock kept completely in the dark. He did wonder a little why Auntie Tasha was hidden in the woods watching him today. It was making Peter nervous.

Coming clean yesterday had been interesting. Tony had fudged a few of the details to Shield. The Tesseract Transmitter was kept secret. Thankfully there were so many secrets to be revealed that Shield didn't have time to go digging after every odd detail. The Avengers had waited until the day before the test was due to occur to tell Shield.

"You see, the Justice League wants their hero back," explained Tony.

Fury was suspicious. When the Avengers weren't telling the whole truth it was always Stark doing the talking. When they were being upfront about things Captain America was their spokes person.

"We have done them an injustice," spoke Thor.

"We, as in you lot?" asked Fury.

"That would be a royal we," explained Captain America. "We as representative of this planet as a collective of reasoning beings, let some of our number commit a massive injustice."

"Displacing a five year old?" demanded Fury.

"The Tesseract portal generator last month was severely unstable. The death toll on the alternate earth was an estimated 1.7 million persons. If they hadn't intervened it would have wiped out all life on their planet," spoke Stark who had the numbers off the Justice league.

"So their hero is a five year old?" Fury clarified. Only an idiot would believe this nonsense.

Captain Rogers sighed, "He started off older. It's our fault he's five too."

"I was led to believe you lot shut down the Tesseract device," Fury was furious.

Barton couldn't resist blurting out this part because frankly it was hilarious. "Actually the God of Thunder and the Super Soldier got captured. The five year old shut down the portal and rescued them. Ironman just blew the thing sky high before the little kid could get home again."

"What kind of a bloody fool do you take me for!" demanded Fury.

Thor was looking intently at a motivational poster on the wall. Captain America was looking at a potted plant. Iron man was whistling tunelessly while examining a spec on the floor.

"Sir, this is the same five year old that stole a Hydra nuke, jet and massive amounts of Intel," reminded Black Widow.

"And you're coming forth with this information now? If we're to have any kind of working relationship, I can't have secrets of this magnitude being held."

"I am answering directly to the All Father on this one," explained Thor.

"Black Widow?" Fury would have sworn she was one of his most loyal agents.

Natasha Romanoff shrugged, "He calls me Auntie Tasha."

Fury looked like he was going to explode.