chapter lii

"My lady Ningguang, you have to let go..." she muttered as she tries to loosen her grip within Ningguang's hands.

But she firmly took it away, almost kneeling as she begged, "Beidou, please... Don't leave me ever again. I beg of you... Just hold on tight..." she grunted while she mustered all force on pulling her back.

Beidou's hand was slipping off from her touch as darkness waited for her to swallow her whole from below, "I—I can't." when her other hand slip off, she trid retrieving them, struggling so hard she might as well give up.

"You can do this Beidou. Wait a little longer, please." she cried out, still drawing her upwards but then their weight cracked the planks, now pulling their weight down. Ningguang's upper body now hanging off from the planks before also being engulfed by the void.

Beidou smiled, which was full of hurt, "Ningguang, let go..." she said calmly, "Besides... the world seemed to put a curse on our love... poisoning out hearts and minds..." she sadly stated.

Ningguang shook her head and then the planks made another cracking sound, pulling them below more, "Don't say that!" she exclaimed, "Together... we'll make it work, right? You promised... Beidou... You promised to make this intoxicating world a better place for us to live in, right?" she wanted to hold onto to her more using both of her hands but doing so will lead them both to their death.

"I did, my lady... but the only problem is that I could never live in this better place with you anymore..." she frowned. A wind now wept past her, blowing her eyepatch away which revealed her other eye sobbing endless tears.

Beidou's hands are now slipping from her grip, little by little... she'll be swallowed by the incoming void, "No, no, no, no! Beidou, no! Stay with me!" she begged, using her full force to save her love but...

She gave her a warm reassuring smile, "Ningguang, I love you so much." before she voluntarily released her hands from her touch, finally letting go her lady.

Ningguang screeched in terror and pain, "BEIDOU!!!!" she bellowed, trying to reach her out as she slowly faded within the void, gone forever.

Only recovering her silver ring just before she loosens one's grip. Her one and only memory of her love who is never coming back.

Ningguang woke up with a start, her heart pounding agressively against her ribs. She shuddered and clasped a hand at her forehead. She even flipped her blankets to check upon Beidou but she wasn't there, later on realizing that she slumbered alone. Her nightmare made her fell unwell as she buries her whole face on her arms, overthinking and recalling her phrases that made Beidou be immersed in a void. Somehow, she felt anxious about it, she sensed that something bad and terrible will happen and that they must be aware and be prepared whenever that time comes.

It bothered her so much she spaced out for almost twenty minutes before shaking off the thought that Beidou would never say such things as those to her and that her nightmare is only fictional and would also never happen in the reality for it is only an illusion created by a distraction. She groaned and shook her thoughts away as she thought that the idea of meeting Beidou later would help her erase the nightmare she had.

She went out of bed and stretched, almost gasping when she realized that she overslept. And as she stretched her limbs out like a cat, her bones cracked one by one. She yelped in pain when she felt some parts of her body started getting sore maybe from all the running last night.

She washed her face and fixed her hair. When she faced her reflection on the mirror, she encourages herself, "You can do this, Lady Ningguang," she tried sounding positive but she could not helo but to recall what happened yesterday, the eering silence from the Golden House, the sight of Beidou on those cuffs as she tried to fight the dilemma that she is in (having to sacrifice herself for Ningguang or pleading innocent in exchange for Ningguang's and her friend's lives), especially the sound of her love pleading guilty in lie.