1.09

~*~

~*~

"shame what's become of this place." zemo says as the group walked into one of the GRC resettlement camps. "when i was young, we used to come here for fabulous dinners and parties. i knew nothing of the politics of the time, of course, but i remember it being beautiful."

"i'm gonna take a look around upstairs." sam tells them. "see what you can find out here. and keep an eye on him." he adds, and bucky nods slightly.

"i'll stay out of your way." zemo assures him, holding up his hands. bucky glared at him for a moment, before turning back to jaclyn.

"stay here." he instructs, making her roll her eyes, but nod. she didn't really understand why she had to stay put, but by now she'd learned not to argue that much with bucky unless it was important. he was too stubborn.

bucky began walking up to a few people, asking about donya, and jaclyn leaned on the wall behind her. she kept her eyes on bucky, until she noticed zemo walking up to a group of kids.

"baa, baa, black sheep, have you any wool?" he begins singing. "yes sir, yes sir, three bags full." the kids began to notice him as he pulled a bag of turkish delights out of his pocket. "one for my master, one for the dame. one for the little girl who lives down the lane." he pulls up a stool and pours the candy onto it, sitting down on the bench behind him.

jaclyn watched him curiously as he spoke with the children, slightly impressed but his tactics. he seemed to be getting information out of them, one of the girls grabbing a piece of candy hesitantly.

bucky noticed him too, and noticed the small smile on jaclyn's face from watching him get the information, and quickly walked back over to her as sam joined them on her other side.

"this is starting to feel like a dead end." sam says, watching zemo as well.

"i wouldn't be so sure." jaclyn shrugs.

"the hell is he doing?" bucky questions, a small glare in his eyes.

zemo slowly stood up, saying one last thing to the kids before handing them the rest of the candy and turning back towards the others.

"cute kids." he comments, walking past them and back out on to the street.

they walked back to zemo's place in silence, sam and bucky both frustrated by the lack of information they received.

"well, i got nothing." bucky says as they walk back inside. "no ones talking about donya."

"yeah, it's because karli's the only one fighting for them." sam agrees, him and bucky taking a seat on the couch. "and she's not wrong." he adds, as jaclyn sat on the chair beside them.

"what do you mean?" bucky asks with a sigh.

"for five years people have been welcomed into countries that have kept them out using barbwire. there were houses and jobs." sam explains. "folks were happy to have people around to help them rebuild. it wasn't just one community coming together, it was the entire world coming together." he sighs and jaclyn focused playing with a ball of energy in her hands, trying to partly block out to conversation to keep her emotions down. "and then, boom. just like that, it goes right back to the way it used to be. to them, at least karli's doing something."