1.15

~*~

~*~

when jaclyn got back to louisiana a few days later, she almost felt like a different person. after what happened in new york, she couldn't stop thinking about the feeling of bucky holding her hand. it was such an innocent little thing, and it made her heart race like a school child.

jaclyn was reluctant to go back to louisiana at first, she wanted to stay in new york with bucky, it was where she was raised after all, but he and sam convinced her it would be better for her to go back. bucky promised he would come visit soon, making her feel slightly better about the decision.

she was happy to see AJ, cass and sarah again. sam wasn't back home yet because he was making a few stops to set up a memorial for isaiah at the smithsonian. she was proud of him, and she really loved that he was officially the new captain america. he was the only one that could be.

harley had called her the day after the fight to excitedly let her know that she wasn't going to be able to stay in the shadows anymore. he said she should start brainstorming a superhero name incase anyone ever asks for hers. she didn't really want a nickname, she didn't know what it would be. for the first time since she could remember, she was happy to just be jaclyn.

she was happy. it was an odd feeling. she had gotten so used to being angry all the time, she didn't really know what to do with herself anymore. AJ and cass kept her occupied for the most part, and she had been trying to learn more about her powers. she was able to get some of tony's work on the infinity stones from pepper so she could try to figure out how to really control them. so far she hadn't found anything, but she was more than willing to look for the rest of her life to find answers.

she still hadn't been able to take the rings off. it wasn't because of anger anymore, she just felt like her powers took over her whole life when she had them off. sam was right, they helped her control the power instead of letting it control her.

jaclyn was sitting on the dock with her legs over the edge, thinking about everything that's happened. she was looking out over the water, spinning the ring on her finger as she let out a long breath.

she heard footsteps behind her and assumed sam was home, until she heard the sound of wood planks dropping behind her. she spun to see bucky standing over her, a half smile on his face.

"hey." he spoke quietly.

"hey." she says back, a small smile growing on her face as she stood up.

"i thought we could fix the railing." he states, looking to where it used to be.

she nodded slightly and bucky bent down to grab a plank of wood and some nails. jaclyn grabbed the wood from him and he picked up the hammer, the two starting to work on putting it back together.

"so," bucky starts after a few minutes of silence, aside from the sound of hammering nails. "how have you been feeling?" he asks, somewhat awkwardly.