1.12

~*~

~*~

the next morning, jaclyn woke up with the smile still on her face. it was probably the best sleep she'd gotten since she came back from the blip. she lifted her hands above her face, flipping them over and grinning as she thought about having her powers back.

she finally got up and got ready, walking out of her room and turning down the hall. she saw AJ and cass at the bottom of the stairs, playing with the shield and acting out a fight. she smiled slightly and leaned her shoulder against the wall beside her. it made her happy to see that the shield still brought people hope and joy, instead of how she kept seeing the blood splatter every time she looked at it.

"hey." she heard bucky say from the couch, making the boys quickly shove the shield back in its case and run around the corner out of the room.

she walked down the stairs to see bucky still lying on the couch, looking up with a small grin. he noticed her and turned his head, waving at her slightly. she waved back, her smile growing when he kept his eyes on her as she moved into the kitchen.

bucky slowly rose from the couch, following her into the kitchen where she was grabbing a bowl of cereal. he leaned on the counter behind him and crossed his arms as she took a bite, turning back to face him.

"feeling better this morning?" he asks and she nodded.

"much better." she says quickly. "thank you, for helping last night." she adds quietly, and bucky nods slightly.

the room fell silent for a moment and jaclyn glanced down, taking another bite of cereal. she could still feel his eyes on her, and swallowed the food before clearing her throat awkwardly.

"sam's already out working on the boat." she tells him. "he, uh, might need some help. you should go check." she says, trying to ignore how her heart was pounding in her chest from the way he was looking at her. bucky's smile grew, noticing the shift in her demeanour, and took a few steps towards her.

"remember when i told you not to tell me what to do?" he asks, pausing only a few inches away from her with the smile still on his face. she nodded slightly, trying not to show how much he was affecting her at the moment. his eyes dropped to her lips for a moment, making her heart race as he quickly looked back to her eyes. "i'll go check on sam." he says quietly, side stepping away from her and out the door.

jaclyn stayed motionless for a moment, before letting out a long breath. she was trying to slow her racing heart beat, taking another bite of her cereal and walking to sit down next the counter.

she finished her food, setting the bowl in the sink, and headed out to see what the boys were working on. she paused at the front of the pier, taking a deep breath as she looked over the water.

she noticed the boys at the other end of the dock, with tools and parts spread around them and walked over to them, taking a seat next to sam.

none of them spoke much as the boys continued to work, except for the occasional mention of what the other should do to fix the water pump. jaclyn used her powers to float one of the bolts in the air above the dock in front of her, chuckling slightly at the boys bickering.