Chapter 7

Tosan sighed, dropping his phone and himself on the bed in his room. The service was pleasant enough, almost too pleasant but he could care less. He just wanted to get the taste and scent of Audu as far away from his memories as possible.

He felt himself shake and growled, asking himself eyy the hell he was crying as tears streamed down his face. God, I am such a fucking pussy. Dragging his feet to the bathroom, he had a shower, hurrying his movements when Audu flashed into his mind. What he wouldn't give to stop his hours younger drunk self from doing something so utterly stupid.

He lay down, using his phone as he blocked any thought that tried to form out of his head. This was the first time in nearly two months that he wasn't sleeping at Audu's place. He had been feeling sorry for himself for a while, forgetting he had to eat until his stomach rumbled. Usually, he would have made some food for himself but he didn't want to buy groceries at that moment, partly born out of an irrational fear that he would bump into his friend. Oh well, there was always room service.

The thought of cooking made him think of Audu, again. Still, he didn't push away the thought this time because it suddenly dawned on him that he might have hurt the sensitive man. He let the thought dwell and picked up his phone, pissed off by the fact that he cared.

"Funsho? Has Audu called to complain about me, yet?"

"Wahala. I'm all the way in Nigeria, guy and you're living some feet away from him. Why are you asking me?"

"He tells you everything. If I ask him, he'll just vex. Not in the mood to deal with his shit. I just wanted to know."

"Are you guys fighting or something? Tosan, what did you do...?" He felt a little hurt but it made sense. Audu was the good one, he was the bad one, of course it was automatically has fault. He wanted to prove Funsho wrong but he huffed instead.

"Ahn Ahn, what's all this now Funsho? I'm your guy, now-"

"You are my guy, he was the best man at my wedding. You see the levels?" Tosan rolled his eyes at that. "Seriously, at least give me a heads-up so I'll know a bit of what to expect if Audu contacts me."

"Man, you just don't get it. Why is it me that came to your mind first? Why can't Audu be the one who you assume fucked up and not me?"

"Because it's Audu. Simple."

"But you don't know him like I've gotten to know him these past few months. He's... He's not as normal as you may think. Maybe by Canada's standards but in Nigeria, there's some stuff he's into now that would get him so fucked." Funsho sighed, his expression grave on the other side of the line.

"If this is about what I think it is, that's none of your damned business, Tosan." That piqued some curiosity.

"Maybe. Depends on what you're talking about."

"Ebere told me about when you were suspecting Audu had a thing for you. Then Audu told me you knew the same night you caught him." Tosan still wasn't saying anything. Funsho had to cut him some slack. He expected Tosan would have been insensitive and outed Audu a long time ago but he was still keeping up guard. He had worried a lot but perhaps he wouldn't be so bad at keeping calm about it, after all. "I know Audu is gay, Tosan."

"What? You know?!"

"Yeah... Of course, I do. We're best friends. What did you expect? Even my wife knows- although she figured it out by herself when she was trying to guess the secret I was hiding from her about Audu. God really gave me the most discerning woman on the planet."

"So he will tell the whole world, first but not me."

"You? Guy, you're like the most homophobic person I know-"