XX

"As long as the mind is enslaved, the body can never be free. Psychological freedom, a firm sense of self-esteem, is the most powerful weapon against the long night of physical slavery." Martin Luther King, Jr

----

XX.

"I see Mr Bishop, the swine," hissed Adam. "But who is that with him?" He referred to the young man who accompanied Mr Bishop.

"I don't know," worried Susanna as she anxiously searched through the crowd of people and horses for Alex. She couldn't understand why Alex would ever consent to selling Argent to a place such as this. Oh, she knew Alex would not consent to this! Something had to be dreadfully wrong. "Buy her!" Susanna begged, suddenly grabbing hold of her brother's sleeve. "Buy her, please, Adam. I cannot allow this to happen to Alex's horse." Such a fate, which so many of these poor creatures were fated to on this day, was too cruel.

"Stay close to me, Susanna," Adam instructed as he began to move through the crowd. They passed grumpy owners and horses who pawed at the ground out of frustration and restlessness. Susanna said silent prayers for the poor animals as they swiftly found themselves before the magnificent Argent.

She didn't look sick or lame ... or anything at all like the other horses around. She appeared as though she could fetch a premium price at a proper horse auction, and not at a knackers' yard. Susanna could not appreciate the beautiful horse for more than a moment before their presence was noticed by Mr Bishop and his unidentified accomplice.

An expression of shock was quickly masked by suspicion, anger, and irritation. He stood back a step, straightening his posture defensively. "What a place for a duke," murmured Mr Bishop distastefully, "and a fallen flower," he added, nodding to Susanna.

"You will not address the lady," snarled Adam.

The young companion of Mr Bishop looked upon them with an air of unease. He looked to be no more than twenty years old, and was dressed well, albeit in ill-fitting clothes. The coat he wore looked to be too long, and Susanna could have sworn that she recognised it ...

"Why would you bring a horse like that to a place like this?" Adam snapped, motioning to Argent.

"It's useless to me now, not that it's any of your business," retorted Mr Bishop. "The beast won't be ridden by anyone. Bites and bucks if you so much as show her a saddle. Can't get a good price for the thing in town. At least here the meat on her is worth something."

Susanna did not think she had ever seen Alex riding Argent with a saddle. He always rode her bareback, and that added to the magic of their connection. Argent was a loyal creature in the way that she was faithful to her rider. This revelation did not allay Susanna's concerns. Why was Mr Bishop selling Alex's horse? How was Argent useless to him? Had Alex broken both of his legs and was now unable to ride?

Susanna met the wary eyes of Mr Bishop's companion. She begged the question with her stare.

"I will give you twenty pounds for her," Adam said coolly.

Susanna nearly screamed at her brother. Twenty pounds? Any fool could see that a horse like Argent was worth a hundred pounds at least. Was he trying to secure a bargain at Alex's expense?

Mr Bishop's brown eyes widened. But they quickly filled with greed. "Fifty," he countered.

"You have just told me that this horse is not ridable. Twenty."

Susanna glared at the back of her brother's head.

"Thirty."

"Twenty-five."