XLI

"But kids don't stay with you if you do it right. It's the one job where, the better you are, the more surely you won't be needed in the long run."  Barbara Kingsolver, Pigs in Heaven

---- 

XLI.

Cecily seized Susanna by the wrist and gave the rest of the gathered party in the foyer a false, saccharine sweet smile. "Do excuse us," she attempted to murmur, though it sounded more like a hiss.

As Susanna was pulled away by her mother in the direction of the library, the room nearest to them, she met with Alex's eyes. She could see the worry there, the shout that he was hiding in his throat, as though he had been put in his place and he could not speak. The expression on his face shockingly reminded her of how he had looked down by the pond when his original deception had been revealed. He looked powerless, and Susanna couldn't stand it. Alex was never to feel that way again, not at least while Susanna was breathing. She had ventured across the world to bring him back, all because she loved him.

"Mama, no!" Susanna dragged her heels, creating enough resistance to stop her mother from pulling on her arm. She was not a child anymore, and this was ridiculous. She was far too old to be scolded by her mother, and Cecily had no say whatsoever in Susanna's choice of match. Only Adam could stop her, and she knew that he never would. While she would never want to deliberately cause her mother distress, or to create friction or barriers between them, this was something that Cecily would need to accept.

She had accepted Grace, and she had accepted Claire. While she could still at times be a little frosty towards the latter, relations had certainly improved. Cecily had a proven history of coming around.

Cecily's eyes flared as she did her best to mask her serious displeasure. She glared at Susanna, daring her to refuse. Perhaps, even half a year ago, she would have complied. But not now. "Susanna, come now," Cecily said tersely. "I must speak with you."

"Mama, I am sorry!" Susanna said emphatically. "I am sorry for leaving as I did, and I am sorry for taking Adam away from Ashwood. I am sorry for all the worry and stress I no doubt put you through. I am sorry for how my actions affected everybody that I left behind.

"But I am not sorry for leaving. I am not sorry that I chose to go after Alex. I am not sorry for any one of the decisions that I made along the way," no matter how foolish and dangerous some may have been at the time, "as they all led to my success in finding him, and our safe return home."

Cecily was silent as she swallowed. Her jaw was incredibly tense as her hands knitted together in front of her. "He is a conman, Susanna, and you are naïve." When she finally spoke, her words were biting and her tone was sharp, and they hit Susanna like a slap across her cheeks.

"Your Grace –" Alex began to appeal but Cecily held up her hand to silence him.

Cecily glared. "Do not address me," she snapped. "I knew from the moment you and your lecherous owner weaselled your way into this house that it was a terrible idea, and I was right."

Susanna could not even begin to fathom how hypocritical Cecily was being in that moment, as she, too, had been charmed by Mr Bishop, but her thoughts were stuck on the very fact that Cecily had referred to him as Alex's owner. It hurt, and she could see the pain across Alex's eyes as well.

"I am certain that you all are very tired from your journey," Grace announced delicately. "Perhaps we might leave you to settle things, Susanna. Adam? You will stay and help," she urged. "Please!" she motioned to Captain Whitfield, Amélie and Belle, as she took the hands of her daughters. "Please, follow me and I will ring for some tea and sandwiches." She led their guests away in the direction of the drawing room, with Amélie looking over her shoulder at her son with a worried expression.