Dull Start to the Year

The sorting ceremony had been quite the bore. There had been plenty of new students and yet, not one interesting name. Not one name you could make puns with or mispronounce horribly.

The choir's chosen song was rather gloomy and foreboding aswell.

'Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble' and 'Something wicked this way comes!' weren't exactly the best messages to send at the start of the year.

She was hungry. Was it time for dinner yet?

No. No it wasn't. Dumbledore stood up and adressed the students.

"Welcome," he said,"to another magical year at Hogwarts. As you may all have noticed our school is playing host to some of the dementors of Azkaban who are here on Ministry of Magic buisness."

"Meaning they're here for Sirius Black," Blaise muttered quietly.

"They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds." Dumbledore continued, "It is not in the nature of Dementors to understand pleading or excuses. I therefore warn each of you, give them no reason to harm you. I look to our prefects and our new head boy and girl to make sure no student runs foul of the dementors."

There were murmurs of worry that flew around the hall. Harriet and Pansy shared worried glances. After what happened on the train, they couldn't count on being safe.

"On a better note," Dumbledore went on, "I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks. Professor Lupin who is our new Defense against the Dark Arts teacher and Professor Hagrid our care of magical creatures professor."

The students applauded. Harriet leaned to Draco and said,"The good news, our new teacher seems to know his stuff judging by what happened. The bad news, our new care of magical creatures teacher might not be teaching material and set us a book that will try to eat us."

Harriet liked Hagrid, she just wasn't sure he was fit to be a teacher. Especially not after a dragon incident in their first year.

Pansy nodded, "At least we wont have to worry about Dumbledore if we're dead."

"Why would we need to-" Draco began.

"Tell you later." Harriet said firmly.

The blond nodded, eyes wide.

The feast then began. Everyone stuffed their faces as usual.

"Mmh. Food!" Harriet celebrated.

"Agreed!" Millicent Bulstrode said, from her left hand side.

Out of the corner of her eye, Harriet watched Lupin. She made a mental note to check her mother's belongings later. Something told her she would find the answer there.

The next day at breakfast they all recieved their new timetables.

Hermione had recieved a time turner from Professor McGonagall earlier on because some of her classses were at the same time. Professor Snape had managed to make Harriet's timetable possible to keep without one.

Harriet almost wished he was less competent. She wanted a time turner as well! They were rare magical artifacts and she didn't see why she couldn't just have one too. They were already handing them out to thirteen year-olds!

"So?" Pansy asked.

Harriet sighed. "Divination. First thing today. You?"

"Same. I saw earlier that the others would be joining us."

"I doubt there's anyone in our year that doesn't have divination."

"I heard an upperclassman was a seer so he was exempt." Pansy chewed thoughtfully, "Had to train with someone during that time. Any news on Lupin?"

"He's my other Godfather."

"What?" Pansy dropped her spoon.

"Yeah, it's in my mum's old photo album." Harriet helped herself to more food. "I knew I'd seen him somewhere!"

"Why wouldn't he just have told you that?"

"Maybe he thought it was a joke?" Blaise suggested from the other side of the table.

"Or he forgot?" Draco suggested gently.

"That's not something you can - Oh. Yeah. Right. Sorry!" Pansy caught herself just in time.

"If that wasn't something you can forget, then Draco here wouldn't have forgotten what a pain in the arse you can be." Blaise joked.

Pansy's jaw dropped. There had been an agreement! An unspoken agreement not to talk about Draco's memory loss!

Draco burst out laughing.

Some others turned to look at them in annoyance. Clearly not morning people. Harriet graced them with a shrug they could read as 'mind your own business'.

"That's pretty easily remembered!" he gasped inbetween fits.

-------------
Comment or leave a star!

Thank you for reading!

XOXO, Drachma