Making Ends Meet

The trial concluded. Mr. and Mrs. Cheng were dragged out of the common room screaming insults and threats. Amina waited until they were gone to crawl out from under the seat row where she had been hiding since the trial had concluded.

"You good?" Harriet asked while offering her a pack of biscuits. They were oatmeal biscuits and Amina's favourite, to be exact.

"Not really," Amina admitted, taking one. She climbed up and fell into the seat next to Harriet.

"Understandable." Harriet nodded and turned to the others. "Meet you outside."

"Okay," Pansy said, ushering Elizabeth and Millicent out, despite their protests. "Need us to get anything? No? Okay."

It was quiet in the hearing room. Amina wasn't sure wether she liked the atmosphere or not. She wiped the last of her tears away and took a bite.

"You know, I don't think you can eat in here," Amina whispered, chewing on her biscuit.

"Boo-hoo," Harriet said condescendingly and popped another one into her mouth, hand already going back into the packet. "I wasn't going to go hungry for five hours. Besides, if they didn't want me to bring snacks, they should have searched me more thoroughly."

Amina raised an eyebrow. It wasn't judgemental exactly but it was bordering on scepticism.

"Relax, I didn't pull 'em out of my arse." Harriet grumbled.

That got a giggle from Amina. Harriet smirked.

"So," she said continuing the conversation, "Plans for the summer?"

"Not really. You?"

"No idea. I hope my godfathers get their shit together though or it will be awkward." Harriet frowned and checked how much of the packet was left.

"Your moving in?" Amina asked.

"Yeah. Why not?" Harriet shrugged.

"No, that's good news."

"Do you want to come stay?" Harriet asked. "I'm sure they wouldn't mind if I asked."

"Maybe not right now."

"Got it."

"Thank you." Amina smiled.

Harriet looked at her in confusion. "For what?"

"Just sticking with me, I guess." Amina took another biscuit.

"No problem." Harriet handed the still half-full packet over.

"Think we should join the others now?"

"Why not?"

Sirius and Remus were sitting in the werewolfs office, drinking tea and not really talking. Well, nothing besides the usual gossip and small-talk. It was slowly driving Sirius insane. Small-talk was never good. It usually preluded bad news or was used to cover up suppressed rage and dislike. Not something you wanted to sense on your lover of sixteen years.

"How do you suppose the trial went?" Remus asked for the third time, stirring his tea.

"We'll find out later," Sirius replied, again.

Remus hummed and they went back to drinking tea. Two minutes later Sirius had had enough.

"Alright," he said, "I've had enough of this. We've been pretending everything is alright for Merlin knows how long. It's obviously not. Whatever you want to say, say it before the suspense and awkwardness kills me."

"There isn't anything." Remus said quietly, taking a sip of tea.

"Yes, there fucking is!" Sirius snapped, making Remus jump a little. "Yes there is! You're lying if you say there isn't!"

Remus sighed. "Sirius."

"Remus."

The stared at each other for a solid three minutes - silently challenging the other - before Remus sighed in a tired manner and put his teacup down.

"Alright, I'm angry that you didn't come home that night. I'm angry that you didn't tell me what was going on. I'm angry you left. I'm angry about the way you left. I'm angry that I made you leave. I'm angry at myself for letting the argument get that far." Remus took a deep breath. "Most of all, though, I am angry - absolutely pissed - that I didn't ask you to stay or come back. That I didn't tell you how much you meant to me. How much you still mean to me."

Sirius licked his lips, mouth and throat suddenly as dry as a desert. His eyes wandered over Remus face, looking for something. What? He wasn't quite sure, but it was important.

"So?" He asked, not sure where this was heading.

Remus Lipin looked into the deep, stormy grey eyes of Sirius Black and said, with full conviction and a sincerity that took Sirius' breath away, "Marry me, Sirius Orion Black."